Is the whole strawberry plant edible?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Just a word of caution. Strawberries are one of those crops that get a lot of fumigant pesticides, methyl bromide, and the riskiest and hardest to control ones at that, to make sure they are purty for market. Even the organic ones get sprayed with stuff at times. Supposedly these only affect the folks at the farm who do not protect themselves with face masks and gloves, and the folks around the growing areas, but I still think we need to be careful.

Extreme rinse what you give to your torties. And yourself, too, of course.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
America's strawberry growers are
testing various new methods of
growing beautiful berries like
this one without using methyl
bromide, an effective but
environmentally unfriendly soil
fumigant that's scheduled for
phaseout by 2005.
(K9188-1)

from http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/ar/archive/jan01/straw0101.htm?pf=1

The mother earth news article is 14 years old. I don't believe Methyl Bromide is used anymore in the US.

Prairie Mom

In answer to the Post title regarding the entire plant...

Yes-edible, just like everyone is saying, but I have a little more to add...

snow strawberries smaller.jpg

Strawberry leaves are a major part of my Sulcata's winter diet... I have become quite dependent on strawberry plants because most of the cold tolerant strawberry plants continue to produce green leaves when mulched in my freezing zone 4 winters.

It's my understanding that strawberry plants contain good amounts of calcium, vitamins A,C,& K plus potassium and a bit of iron. When I researched their edibility, I found MANY websites that claimed strawberry leaves are only edible IF they are completely FRESH GREEN LEAVES or completely DRIED (Apparently their used in teas). I haven't been able to find out exactly what happens, but apparently there is a toxic chemical change to the plant that takes place during the process while the leaves change from green to dried.

The Tortoise Table Admins claim that you can only feed new young leaves and that older leaves are toxic. I have found NOTHING that supports the claim the older green leaves are toxic -NOTHING, but found MANY sources that say they are fine all the way green or all the way dry. My young smallish Sulcata has eaten LARGE amounts of old green strawberry leaves and all is well.
They helped us a lot this past winter! She's growing like ...well...a Sulcata :p

Last edited: