Is that intestinal worms ?

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
It's common for torts and turtles to eat their poop (I think it's common with a lot of animals actually). It could be for numerous reasons but poop eating isn't necessarily a problem. And it's certainly not one of the problems you should focus on treating right now.

Mina Adel

It's common for torts and turtles to eat their poop (I think it's common with a lot of animals actually). It could be for numerous reasons but poop eating isn't necessarily a problem. And it's certainly not one of the problems you should focus on treating right now.
Please .. can parasites make my torts stop eating because most of them don't eat well...

Rue

Canada
Yes. If a parasite load gets too high, the animal becomes weakened and ill.

They can stop eating. And even if they eat - they can still starve, since the parasites are taking away from the animals nutritional uptake.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Yes but being extremely stressed out due to overcrowding and territorial issues can also make a tort stop eating.
Inadequate housing can also create an issue where a tort isn't willing to eat.
Odds are it's a combination of parasites, stress, territorial problems, and inadequate enclosures that's causing your torts to eat.
You need to fix the space issue you have and find all but one of your tortoises new homes.

How is the treatment going for the parasites? Remember you have to treat ALL of the tortoises, not just one of them.
Otherwise they will all continue to have parasites.

Have you started looking for homes for some of your tortoises?

Mina Adel

Yes. If a parasite load gets too high, the animal becomes weakened and ill.

They can stop eating. And even if they eat - they can still starve, since the parasites are taking away from the animals nutritional uptake.
So if the parasite load is low .. they will eat .
I think there is a hidden reason behind stop eatting that I didn't know it yet.

Mina Adel

The reasons are likely as we've all stated previously.
No. from the moment I bought them ..
they were in this state.
I bought them sick as they are now
They didn't get sick with me.
They were sick from the beginning. .
Then I bought the rest of torts .
after a month of buying these sick torts.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
What I'm saying is that your conditions are not helping them get better. Nothing you do will help them get better unless you listen to the advice you've been given here on the forum.
All of us love tortoises and want to do what's best for them. Sometimes what's best for them is finding them different homes and caring for just one tortoise at a time.
Trust me, that's what I'm doing and that's what a lot of other members do.
You don't have to have a mass number of tortoises to be a tortoise lover. You just have to be a good caregiver for the tortoise you do have.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
When i bought my russian tortoise, he moved around some at the pet store. When i brought him home he did not move or eat for 2 weeks until i brought him to the vet, and did not eat until AFTER we dewormed him and he got use to being with me (about a month)
Your tortoises may have been sick when you first bought them but the stress from the environment you have them in will further weaken their immune system and cause parasites to increase.
I have read many of your posts and you constantly ask for advice but dont take any of it. You have a good heart, you want to rescue and properly care for these tortoises, but you are not doing it correctly and you are not making changes that will help them.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I have to agree. Many of us would LOVE to rescue all suffering animals, bring them all home, live happily ever after and sing "Cumbauya". I know I would! My heart wants to help the ALL! But I don't have the means for massive operation like that, no space and certainly no money. I too have read many of your posts and you sound just like me. Your heart wants to do it, but you live in apartment with hard floors where it's easy to clean all the tort pee and poop... Well, that is not enough. You obviously don't have appropriate space for them, nor veterinary support for your ailing animals, no conditions to keep gravid females who drop eggs in the hard floor. This is extremely stressful to these animals. Poor girl was probably trying to dig the nest, just scratching hard floor. And the parasitic infestation, omg! That is bad! For the animals and for YOU as well! And fir other inhabitants of your apartment. And the abscess... likely from bacterial infection... Seriously, your apartment is at very high risk for ANY human or animal to become VERY ILL. I'd find simeone who can comepetently care for the torts, move out for few days and do a very thorough cleaning, disinfecting of all the surfaces and possibly fumigating your apartment before anyone allowed to move back in. Please have a heart, and rehome those animals. Take them to the zoo if no other alternatives. And take precautions for your and your own family safety. Zoonotic diseases can be deadly. I hope you take my advise to heart

Rue

Canada
For the sake of argument :

Since we don't fully know Mina's circumstances, and because we are used to our own circumstances and often can't quite see how different things are in different parts of world...let's just play 'what it' for a moment.

Zoos do not want tortoises. Especially not sick ones. So even if there is a zoo, that's likely out. Let's assume then, that there is no zoo. There isn't a rescue. There isn't a vet.

Now what are the options?

Figure out some way to keep them. Release back into the wild. Or kill them.

Mina Adel

For the sake of argument :

Since we don't fully know Mina's circumstances, and because we are used to our own circumstances and often can't quite see how different things are in different parts of world...let's just play 'what it' for a moment.

Zoos do not want tortoises. Especially not sick ones. So even if there is a zoo, that's likely out. Let's assume then, that there is no zoo. There isn't a rescue. There isn't a vet.

Now what are the options?

Figure out some way to keep them. Release back into the wild. Or kill them.

I treated that tortoise
I found it with a broken shell
I helped him
He is an adult male
Trust me i am helping them
But here no one know anything about torts
I wish you all can help me to help them and I will search to find a good home for them all
I am already searching..
And my friend will take one from me after I treat them.

1462565755026.jpg 1462565795426.jpg 1462565852079.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I treated that tortoise
I found it with a broken shell
I helped him
He is an adult male
Trust me i am helping them
But here no one know anything about torts
I wish you all can help me to help them and I will search to find a good home for them all
I am already searching..
And my friend will take one from me after I treat them.
Oh, poor thing! Those injuries look horrendous. God bless you for trying to help them. I hope things work out for you where you can create appropriate, safe and healthy environment for them. Wishing you best of luck

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Your torts will be very happy with their own space. I love that youre trying to start a tortoise rescue. I cant wait until you get more resources and hopefully more room, to help even more tortoises. Keep us updated :)

Mina Adel

Do any one knows what kind is this worm ?
It is so hard in touch .. It was in the stool in waterbath after soaking the torts

Attachments

• 1462968278263.jpg
    1462968278263.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 28