Is pool water harmful for growing tortoise?

kenamarsh

Hii everyone,I have two pools at my home which was built(http://www.ferraripools.com/ ) about two years back .One pool is small and was built for my kids and now they have grown up.Now they are not using that pool much but they are using the other pool.So now we are thinking of growing a tortoise in that pool.Is this idea feasible?I would like to get some suggestions.I would like to know whether pool water is good for growing tortoises or else do we need to change the water?What are the precautions that we should take before growing a tortoise?My husband and I don’t want to let our small pool to get dirty or damaged.Our children suggested growing tortoises since they are fond of them.Any help on this would be great.Thanks in advance.

Oogway the russian tort

No not pool water it hasnasty chemicals that can harm tortoises/turtle and reptile for that manner it sound like u have a pretty big back yard so maybe make an outdoor enclosure if your weather allows it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How would you raise a tortoise in a pool anyway? This doesn't make sense. They are land animals…

Of course chemically treated pool water is not safe for a tortoise. Or a turtle. If you can't drink it, they can't either. Or live in it.

Are you in Australia where they call turtles tortoises? And they don't have tortoises?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmmm, I agree with Tom and others that a regular swimming pool with treated water is not what you want to raise turtles in. Given your pool company is based out of Shrewsbury, MA, I'm guessing u are located in that area. Id say if you really want to keep a tortoise that you read a lot of the care sheets for various torts and see what might work for you. Since u say u don't want the small pool to get dirty, I'm guessing you don't want to fill it in with mulch, leaf litter, etc for a nice big protected outdoor tortoise pen.

Good luck and ask away and welcome to the Forum.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I assume you mean aquatic turtle, not tortoise? Tortoises are land animals so would not appreciate living in a pool. If you are still treating the pool with anything (chlorine or other water cleaning treatments), you absolutely cannot house an aquatic turtle in it either. If you want to turn your pool into a pond (no water treatment, add substrate and plants and let it be wild), you could house turtles, but your pool will be 'dirty'. I am not sure turtles are right for you.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Are you talking about a turtle or a tortoise??? (Turtles can swim, tortoises will drown.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your husband doesn't want it to get dirty, then keeping a turtle or tortoise in there is not the way to do so. They are dirty.