Is my tortoise okay?

Jamie Renae

hello! We got our Russian tortuous recently and we have been doing a lot of research to take the best care of her we can! Recently this seperation has started on her shell (her name is tortous - named by our 4 year old boy!) and I want to make sure she is okay and see if there is something else I should be doing for her?

IMG_2071.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You see that a lot on wild caught-now-captive russian tortoises. The tortoise has gone from not getting much to eat to all of a sudden getting a lot to eat and the growth comes in uneven. I must admit, this growth looks different from what we usually see, though.

Is the tortoise kept outside or indoors? What do you feed it?

Jamie Renae

You see that a lot on wild caught-now-captive russian tortoises. The tortoise has gone from not getting much to eat to all of a sudden getting a lot to eat and the growth comes in uneven. I must admit, this growth looks different from what we usually see, though.

Is the tortoise kept outside or indoors? What do you feed it?

We got her from a family that did not feed her enough and when they did it was mainly only romain lettuce.. she was always kept in a small glass tank.. she is indoors now but we let her roam outside when we are out in the lawn. She mainly eats Romaine lettuce, Strawberry tops, Aloe. Tomatoes, and then dandilions when she is outside! She stays very active now.. when we first got her she was not quite as social