Is my tortoise ok?

RedGeographic

Hi,

My Russian Tortoise sadly escaped for a couple of weeks, but luckily he was found by a neighbour on a green a couple of hundred metres away (so anyone who loses one don't give up hope - flyers and posters worked!).

The two weeks he was AWOL it rained a fair bit so he was out in the wet. He's been back in his dry enclosure for a week with UVB / Heat, and a dry substrate.

I took him to an exotic vet today who gave him a health check and said he seemed healthy (no signs of lethargy etc. and inside of his mouth looked ok). But, on bringing him back from the vet, it looks like some of his plastron might be peeling... would it be possible to take a look and see what you think (and if I need to do anything...?).

Thanks!

IMG_3142.JPG IMG_3145.JPG IMG_3142.JPG

RedGeographic

Hi Zeropilot,

Thanks for your reply. We have a Zoo Med Tortoise Hut in his enclosure, and the other day I did notice one of the bits of bark on its roof (that he likes to climb over) was sticking out at an odd angle. I didn't think too much of it at the time and just removed it, but that could probably be what did it...

Is there something I can do to help him mend, or is it a trip back to the vets?

Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nothing looks too serious to me. I would just keep an eye on it to be sure nothing gets worse.
However, Russians do need some humidity. Adults at least 50% a humid hide would do or you can make the whole enclosure humid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Clean it out real good with a brush to make sure there is no dirt under the lifted part, then pack some athlete foot cream in there. It's probably NOT shell rot, but the cream won't harm anything. I don't know why that portion seems to have lifted. Just keep your eye on it and if it starts to look raw or oozing, maybe take him back to the vet.