Is my tortoise fat?

Maitaimommy

Location (City and/or State)
He doesn't look fat in the posted pic but from the numbers you give us yes he is:(

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My Herman's tortoise Logan is turning 1 year old today. When I got him in May he was 88 grams. http://imgur.com/a/ZrKL3 current weigh in 142.
Well, it really depends how big the tortoise is. A lot of tortoises have extremely varying growth rates from tortoise to tortoise. I don't really know about Herman tortoises though, so I might be wrong lol

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Definitely NOT FAT:) Just look at her fleshy parts, they look thin. I agree with statement above that torts have different growth rates. Just like human kids.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Definitely NOT FAT:) Just look at her fleshy parts, they look thin. I agree with statement above that torts have different growth rates. Just like human kids.
Would you say its growing too fast? I was told that tortoises should gain like 3 grams a month. My little knows his limits if hes full he will stop eating.

Alaskamike

South Florida
In general -
Speed of growth is not the issue as long as :

They are active
Walk well with back legs under shell ( H pattern )
The shell is forming with very little pyramiding.
They are well hydrated.
Eliminating well
Eyes are clear -alert.
They ARE growing.

All torts grow at different rates , even from same clutch & same food offerings. Focus on proper food , space to roam, good hydration , proper temps & humidity , hides, & watch shell for dryness or signs of problems. Check for worms once a year.

If you do that , your tort will be happy as a pig in ... well, you know what. :)

Maitaimommy

Just tried to feed Maitai his first ever strawberry and it wasn't a hit! Just as well as fruit isn't ideal for russians. Any opinions on organic rainbow chard?

Maitaimommy

Just keeping it going with the variety TD! My tort is healthy and active and I'm very proud of that! Thanks and have a good day!

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
In general -
Speed of growth is not the issue as long as :

They are active
Walk well with back legs under shell ( H pattern )
The shell is forming with very little pyramiding.
They are well hydrated.
Eliminating well
Eyes are clear -alert.
They ARE growing.

All torts grow at different rates , even from same clutch & same food offerings. Focus on proper food , space to roam, good hydration , proper temps & humidity , hides, & watch shell for dryness or signs of problems. Check for worms once a year.

If you do that , your tort will be happy as a pig in ... well, you know what. :)
When I first got my tortoise he did have some pyramiding but I've noticed that since I started to raise the humidity and since he is growing his shell is starting to even out. I know that this might sound a bit weird but I find his pyramiding somewhat attractive like its not deformed but it gives him character. I'm Obviously aiming for him to have the smoothest shell possible.