is my tort pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

My baby tortoise's shell is not growing smoothly. The edges of scutes are raised. She is a spider tortoise, about 5 months old. She and another are kept in around 60-70% humidity, temp from 70-90F, hide with moist moss, fed red and green lettuce, dandelion, escarole, endives, radicchio, cactus, occasional Mazuri, fruits, veggies and mushrooms. They have UV lamp (Zoomed 5.0) and given Herptivive and Rep-cal with D-3 once a week.

128759gorm_front-R-med.jpg

128759gorm_back_R-med.jpg

The other tortoise is about 9 months old and his carapace never looked like this.
Do you think this is a sign of pyramiding or something else? What can I do to prevent it from getting worse?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Em

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Em,
It's not pyramiding thats happening. I've seen some hatchlings do this with the new growth being higher than the original growth. Usually the new growth will straighten out, but the original scute will always be a bit dipped in. It won't bother him/her any.
Your set-up and diet sound great. I though would go with a calcium supplement with phosphorus in it and would use it at every feeding for the first year. Than every other after that.

Danny

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have no idea about spider tortoises. But in general it seems like it may be either a humidity issue or even a dehydration issue. But it seems like you are doing everything right. Weird. Keep us updated.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have always heard that if you are using a UVB bulb do not use Vit D-3 this can become toxic. I think it would be for Pider torts also. Danny??

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can over do it with adults Robyn, but not in the first year of a hatchlings life.

Danny

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Danny,

Thank you (again) for your advice. Is there any calcium supplement with phosphorus you recommend?

Thanks.
Em

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I have used Reptocal by Terrafauna for over 20 years and have had great success with it. It has a smell, must smell good to tortoises because I have never had a tortoise refuse food with it on the food.
Zoomed makes one also, but can't remember the name.

Danny

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks, Danny.
I'll get the Reptocal ASAP.

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.