Is my star tortoises size okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmondz

hey all,

I am a worrier and can't find much to compare against, I am attaching (hopefully) a pic of my indian star tortoise. She was hatched at the start of May 2014. So is almost a year old, is her size ok for her age or is she small? I don't actually have a weight for her, just size compared to my hand

I don't see her being active much, but she does eat well and I alternate using calcium powder and nutrobal every few days. She doesn't seem to have grown much since I got her (November), though the markings on her she'll have changed very very slightly so I assume some growth has happened

Any input is appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64

Desmondz

I soak her every 3/4 days. She's in a vivarium and in the basking area it's 38 degrees celsius, coldest spot 24 degrees. I don't have anything for humidity in the viv but I have some spagnum moss (probably spelled that wrong) in one hide and I spray water into the viv 3 times a day, there's another hide in the back corner near to the heat bulb which she prefers though

Maybe the viv is too cold? I have an 80 watt heat bulb at one end and a uvb strip across the top. At night I swap the heat bulb for an infrared heat bulb which is 75 watts and I turn off the strip light so it's dark for her. I do have a 160 watt heat/uvb combo bulb that I initially used when she was in a tortoise table before I got the viv, but it was going up to near 50 degrees celsius under it and she wouldn't go anywhere near it

In the viv I can't really hang the bulbs so they're any higher up than about 8/9 inches from the floor, so didn't want to use a higher watt one for incase it got too hot again

Her main diet is romaine lettuce and I also get salad bags and give her leaves from that. I'm in the UK and all weeds have been dead outside since I got her, I think weeds are the preferred diet but I also have no grass in my garden so they're not easy to get. I can get dried dandelions - would they be any good or it has to be fresh? Could you suggest better or different foods for her that I would be able to get in a supermarket? I also have some tortoise pellets that you're meant to soak and feed but have never used them

This is my first reptile of any kind so I may be doing things horribly wrong, I tried to read up online but there's so much conflicting information :(

Thanks so much for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.