is my mvb to far away?

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
It`s getting hotter here as we move into the spring, and as such I am having to adjust my powersun 100 watt. Today, at about 18 in, it was around 97 degrees in my Russian`s basking area, with the hottest spot being 105 degrees. Right now i have it at about 20-21 inches, but i`m worried about diminished uvb output at this distance.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
ZooMed claims 24" is still good enough - but UVB falls off pretty rapidly, so the difference between 12" and 24" is substantial. With my solar meter, I've tested two zoomed 100W MVBs and neither put out much past 18". Bulbs are highly variable though, so what was true for the ones I tested isn't necessarily true for all.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
ZooMed claims 24" is still good enough - but UVB falls off pretty rapidly, so the difference between 12" and 24" is substantial. With my solar meter, I've tested two zoomed 100W MVBs and neither put out much past 18". Bulbs are highly variable though, so what was true for the ones I tested isn't necessarily true for all.

should i contact zoomed and ask for a replacement?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
should i contact zoomed and ask for a replacement?
The problem would be you don't know what it is actually producing. Without a UV meter, you can't tell, nor be able to claim to them something is wrong with the bulb. I know they are relatively expensive, but there is no other way to know about proper UVB exposure. If you are in an area where natural sunlight is not an option for extended periods of time, a UV meter is an invaluable tool. Simply replacing bulbs that are still good is expensive too!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The problem would be you don't know what it is actually producing. Without a UV meter, you can't tell, nor be able to claim to them something is wrong with the bulb. I know they are relatively expensive, but there is no other way to know about proper UVB exposure. If you are in an area where natural sunlight is not an option for extended periods of time, a UV meter is an invaluable tool. Simply replacing bulbs that are still good is expensive too!

I am in complete agreement. In my climate, I see no way around having a reliable uvb meter. Brand new bulbs sometimes put out no uvb right out of the box. I have one t5 tube that has been going strong for two years. There is so much variability even from the same brand that a meter is a must for me.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I came home today and his hot side was to cold, so i lowered it back to 16". I think the problem was my room was just abnormally hot, around 80 degrees.