Is lllreptile a trusted source for buying baby tortoises?

Quince Wood

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I know its not the best idea for someone to buy from a website but I called and asked them what they feed their tortoises and they said "leafy greens" and then i asked how long they soak them and they said "30 minutes every day" so i was just wondering if any of yall have bought from lllreptile?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It depends. Let me start with the fact that I like LLL, I do business with them regularly, and the owner is a friend. With all of that you would think I would simply answer yes to your title question, but its not that simple. In the last couple of years they have started doing more to hydrate hatchlings, and I think they are having better success and fewer problems because of it, but here is the hard part: LLL is a huge company and they sell a lot of tortoises. They have to procure their babies from all over the place to meet the demand. Now I know they are careful about who they buy from and I know they check the babies over carefully, but unfortunately many breeders are still stuck in the old "keep these desert tortoises dry..." mindset, and the damage done by these practices is not visible or apparent in any way on the outside. In years past we had members come on here with LLL tortoises that showed the signs of this early dehydration. However, I have not seen one of these cases from them in at least two years now. So from their careful selection process and their new housing and handling practices, it appears they have the problems of the past largely solved.

That is as truthful and unbiased as anyone can be. I would not have listed them as my first choice as a place to buy a baby from in the past, but with their new husbandry techniques in place, I feel more comfortable recommending them now.

I should also add that I have purchased several animals from them over the years and not had one problem.

Quince Wood

Georgia
Thanks so much! Its not definat that i will buy from triple l but i might so this was a big help thanks!!!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I actually do go to their stores for supplies and on many occasions have seen dehydrated babies that I was told are soaked 2 times weekly and had dry water bowls.
This was both in Menifee and Oceanside.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I actually do go to their stores for supplies and on many occasions have seen dehydrated babies that I was told are soaked 2 times weekly and had dry water bowls.
This was both in Menifee and Oceanside.

Uh oh. :(