Is it Okay to feed butternut squash everyday?

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Hi my little guy, 3 months old, LOVES butternut squash so I have been mixing it in with his other foods, like dandelions leaves, green leaf lettuce and he is now eating a lot lately. But is it okay to let him eat squash everyday?

My husband was worried about if it had a high sugar content?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No. Not good everyday. Once a week tops. Your tortoise needs high fiber broadleaf weeds and leaves.

yillt

Certainly not. Yes he can eat it though. Just not everyday day. I agree with Tom. Once a week at the most. Variety is good. So why not feed him a different type of thing each week. One week squash and a couple of weeks later give him a tiny bit of something else.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I wouldn't do it more than once a week. He eats a lot of it, because....
He likes it, like a kid with chocolate. They will eat it all day long and enjoy it, but not good for them.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Oh dear... I feel so bad not giving it to him. Can I just mix a teeny bit with his leafy greens? Just because he has only really started eating a lot since I fixed his temps and lights?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It is okay for him to eat occasionally.
A little a day isn't going to hurt anything.
Maybe just a teeny bit! :D It DOES have a lot of sugar, which isn't very good for your tort, but just make sure he is his healthy food too.

Turtlepete

South Florida
It's also a super-dose of Vitamin A. I feed it to iguanas, tortoises, probably twice a week. Doesn't have to be a huge quantity, shred it and add it to the rest of his food. I even feed it shredded to water turtles occasionally, with varying degrees of success, haha.