Is it normal for a tortoise to be trying to climb out of it's enclosure?

Eli the Tortoise

Hello, I'm new to this site and need a bit of help with my Russian tortoise. I have had him about a month now and since then he's been trying to climb out of his enclosure. I have the Zoo Med Tortoise House and it's made out of wood, not glass. His enclosure it much bigger than the one at the pet store, where I bought him, so I don't know what's wrong. I'm starting to worry that he may get snout damage. Thank if you can help. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Russians like to climb, and explore, pretty normal.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
As dmmj said Russians and many other torts like to explore so that means you fight it or work with it . So what I did was ( in most of my enclosures ) I devided the enclosures in to 1/3 back 1/3 middle and 1/3 front . With 2x 4 I layed on there side ( 3in. Side up ) and filled the center 1/3 with soil so to get from one end to the other they have to climb both 3in boards for exserce . In my large leopard enclosure I put a dry river bed the full length of the enclosure . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
One rule about the size of the enclosure for russian tortoise are at least 4 X 8. At least.....

Welcome and you will find out this is a great place to learn and share about tortoise and everything else. Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't care how big you think the Zoo Med Tortoise house is, it still isn't big enough for a Russian tortoise. They need lots of space. In the wild they wander for miles, and its hard-wired into them to do just that. If you can't set him up outside, for whatever reason, then you'll need a much bigger space for him. Either that, or listen to him climb the walls all day long.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif