Is it a lost cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

persinger76

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
medford oregon
:(our tortoise Terk went missing from our backyard one june 29 could hey still be in my backyard hidden?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of tortoise. Russian tortoises are very good at burying themselves, sometimes not leaving any trace evidence as to where.

Look next to a fence (or house or wall) where the sun first hits in the morning. My tortoises all come out first thing and sit in the sun.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's not a loss cause. Be sure you put flyers up around the neighborhood so if someone finds him, they know where he belongs. As Yvonne said, look first thing in the A.m. For him to be out warming up. You may even put that bit of info in the flyer, that he will be sun basking first thing in the morning. Good luck, and keep looking. There has been reunions of lost torts, lost longer then yours.

persinger76

5 Year Member
medford oregon
He is a sulcatta . we have a pretty large yard with 3 sheds.. No he didn't escape my husband was working on enclosure. Yes I
put up flyers

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Well, I had a small box turtle (about 3") escape his pen a while back. About two months later, I almost stepped on him in the tall grass about 40' from where he left. I was amazed. So good luck to you.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I have found lost turtles years later a short distance away but it's definitely a hope and a prayer.

I agree to do a good walk around early in the morning when the sun is first hitting the ground . That's your best time of the day to potentially find him.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
And be sure to keep a watch under those sheds...put food out around your yard..Good Luck to you.

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using TortForum mobile app

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Ours was recently gone for 10 days and a neighbor found him in front of her house. We had given up hope. You may get lucky too. I sure hope so. It is an awful feeling wondering where they are :(

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
They burrow something outrageous. Check under a shed, under the foundation of your house. I am not kidding, those tunnels when they are not noticed can go far. Gosh, I really hope you find your little Terk. Hoping for the best for you!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
my sulcatas go sometimes inside our shed very deep in, or behind the shed, also they try to burrow underneath the shed,
I also very often thought that mine was lost but they hide extremely well

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

I'm sure he's still in your yard

the dig super fast, that's why you probably don't see him

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Look under things, last year one of mine went missing in the enclosure, after checking to make sure there was no way for her to get out, I knew she was there some where.I started removing things from the enclosure and setting them aside, there was a short piece of 6x6 wood that she was under, it showed no signs of any digging around it so it was one of the last places I figured she would be. Don't give up Hope, I had a retic missing in the house for 6 months many years ago, he finally got thirsty enough to come out and woke me up trying to drink out of a glass with melted ice in it. Here are pics to show how small the piece of wood was.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yup. So true mine tried to burrow between the chicken coop and a shed ...THERE is no accses for me,we had to cut bushes...to squeeze in.
Then he tryed burrowing under shelfs..it goes deep,we had to put something there

Attachments

• 1378170505952.jpg
    1378170505952.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 1378170516707.jpg
    1378170516707.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 46
Status
Not open for further replies.