Is he ill?

Whooo

Hi my 6 month old hermann which I've had for 2 1/2 weeks. We put him into his new table three days ago, first day he explored , second day he caused chaos but stayed mostly at the hot end and third day (today) he has spent all his day under the heat lamp.
He keeps falling asleep under the lamp which I'm a little concerned about as I don't want I'm to dehydrate.
He is eating fine and drinking fine during his baths. I haven't yet seen a poo from him but am using soil as substrate so may have missed one?
Is this normal behaviour? I'm just worried as in a few days I have to go back to work and don't want him baking under his light .

Beth1990x

Hi I'm experiencing the same thing , first few days I got my horsefield he was trampling round everywhere and following his reflection , eating and basking but then I realised my bulb wasn't hot enough, changed it but over last 2 days he's not moved , won't eat unless prompted and faces the corner. Bathed him twice today ,no poo or wee . It's so worrying and it makes you realise how important your set up is but I don't know anybody with tortoises and really struggling . If he dies it's my fault cause he was fine at first !

Whooo

I'm struggling too I recently added a strip uv lamp with his new enclosure, his temps seem fine , 20 at cold end, around 29/30 in basking spot, at night it drops to 15 ish (I'm hoping it doesn't drop lower but it might drop a little)
He's usually such an active tortoise trying to clinb everything constantly walking around now he just sits :/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome both. There are a number of factors that affect tortoise activity.

New surroundings: Tortoises can be very sensitive to change. Some cope very badly with anything new. A new home, changing the enclosure round, a new routine... all can be frightening and a reason to hide away

Temperatures: It could be too hot, but usually it's too cold. There are 4 important temperatures - warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum. It is best to measure the first 3 with a temperature gun type thermometer like this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483388849.548991.jpg
Analogue thermometers and the type that stick to the side of the enclosure are not accurate enough.

That basking lamp must hang straight down - not be at an angle. Temperatures are very hard to control without a lid or roof on your enclosure.

CFL UVB Bulbs: The compact UVB bulbs can cause eye problems in tortoises and the torts will hide away simply because their eyes hurt.

Assuming temperatures and lighting are what they should be, then you should establish a routine so your tort learns what to expect and when.
- Have the lights on a timer so they come on and go off at the sane time each day
- First thing, before your tort warms up properly, soak your tort for at least 20 minutes in warm water.
- While your tort soaks, tidy the enclosure and place food.
- Replace your tort and leave it to be brave and explore. Resist the temptation to watch; you're big and scary right now.

Your tort will work out that the enclosure is safe and you're the provider of yummy food, but it may take a few weeks. Be patient and stick to the routine. Don't feel tempted to take your tort out of its enclosure other than for the soak.

Whooo

At the moment the light comes on at 9am and shuts off at 9pm however by 6.30pm he is shattered and can't stay awake, even after he spends the afternoon under his light asleep. Usually around 8pm he will eventually take himself of to his hide with some persuasion.
Just unsure what to do I really don't want him to bake and at the moment he doesn't seem to be going to the cold end at all .

On another note, when he was active he keeps falling on his back and not able to flip back and one time he was under the lamp - I don't even no what he climbed to get where he was ! Is there anything to stop this or will he grow out of it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At the moment the light comes on at 9am and shuts off at 9pm however by 6.30pm he is shattered and can't stay awake, even after he spends the afternoon under his light asleep.
It sounds fairly typical. Basking is essential for your tort to warm his body up enough to digest his food.
Usually around 8pm he will eventually take himself of to his hide with some persuasion.
After nearly 50 years of tortoise keeping, we still have regular disagreements with Joe about where the best place to be overnight is. It's up to you whether you bother to move him.

Just unsure what to do I really don't want him to bake and at the moment he doesn't seem to be going to the cold end at all .
If he's staying under the lamp all the time, it suggests temperatures are not what you think.
What type of thermometer are you using? Does your enclosure have a roof? (Photos might help us spot something too)

On another note, when he was active he keeps falling on his back and not able to flip back and one time he was under the lamp - I don't even no what he climbed to get where he was ! Is there anything to stop this or will he grow out of it.
Some are more adventurous than others. Again photos of the enclosure will help us spot problems.

Whooo

Hi I've attached a pic sorry it's a little dark, he's gone to bed , we've had a move around since he flipped under his light and added some rocks against the side of the plant pot hide to stop him climbing it, so far he hasn't flipped again but makes me paranoid he will.
Currently using analogue thermometers and hygrometer with a digital thermometer to use sometimes for spot checks .

Attachments

• IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 15

Beth1990x

Ah I feel you. However I've been thinking over the last hour.. yes he marched round , followed his reflection for days , trampled on everything but this is all because he's curious and also had other torts in the pet shop, now after a week he's realised he's on his own, and he's seen everything to see in his enclosure , maybe it's time to sit back and relax and be a tortoise ! We might just be worried cause they were active at first and now they're not but maybe that's just how they're really like !! Keep us updated !

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Whooo

Ah I feel you. However I've been thinking over the last hour.. yes he marched round , followed his reflection for days , trampled on everything but this is all because he's curious and also had other torts in the pet shop, now after a week he's realised he's on his own, and he's seen everything to see in his enclosure , maybe it's time to sit back and relax and be a tortoise ! We might just be worried cause they were active at first and now they're not but maybe that's just how they're really like !! Keep us updated !
Hopefully he's ok I'm keeping an eye on him next few days jut to make sure

Whooo

So the enclosure is open topped? This needs to be resolved. You will not achieve correct temperatures and humidity like this. Some people use a garden cloche tent over the table like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Gar...ie=UTF8&qid=1483393192&sr=1-3&keywords=Cloche

You also need to get a decent thermometer. The gun type is inexpensive from Amazon.
When we got him we were told not to use a viv and to use a tortoise table which is kind of what we have made , the humidity is around 60-70% sometimes 80.
I will look at the gun thermometers to try find one .
Just not sure what else to do

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A few plants may help make his enclosure more exciting for him and help with humidity.
Spider plants are popular - see www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for other tort safe plants.
If you buy from stores - repot in chemical free soil and wait until any other chemicals/fertilisers etc that may have been used on them grow out.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When we got him we were told not to use a viv and to use a tortoise table which is kind of what we have made , the humidity is around 60-70% sometimes 80.
I will look at the gun thermometers to try find one .
Just not sure what else to do
Where did you buy your tortoise and how old is it? What is its Straight Carapace Length? Here's how to measure it http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

There is an awful lot of outdated information bandied around on the internet and by pet stores and, sadly, by some breeders and pet stores too.

A young tortoise needs higher humidity. A table does not provide that.
This guide to the care of young tortoises is accurate and up to date
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Whooo

I got him through a friends friend as theirs had babies, he measure 5.25 cm roughly and weighs 25.5g he isn't gaining weight at all yet and hasn't in last week
I've been using spray bottles and such to try to keep humidity up but again there are many different recommendations of the correct humidity %. Our house is quite humid anyway which is probably why we get the 70% reading .

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I got him through a friends friend as theirs had babies, he measure 5.25 cm roughly and weighs 25.5g he isn't gaining weight at all yet and hasn't in last week
I've been using spray bottles and such to try to keep humidity up but again there are many different recommendations of the correct humidity %. Our house is quite humid anyway which is probably why we get the 70% reading .
So he's a baby.

You need a closed chamber, higher humidity and temperatures to be sorted out.

A viv is ideal for a very young tortoise - the opposite of what you were told.

Please read the link I gave you earlier and also

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Whooo

Yes he's still a baby , he's about 6months old .
I've done so much reading lately to check everything is ok, I just want to make sure everything is good for him and don't want to let him down.
I'll definitely be getting a temperature gun and look into CHE and some kind of cover for our table, maybe a plastic sheet kind of thing?
We had a plastic box hide and he seem to hated it whenever we put him in it for first 10 days or so he would crawl right out and sleep in the corner. He likes his flower pot though and will sleep in that but I suppose it's not humid enough....
what would you say is lowest for night temps?
And what humidity would u say ?
(Just seeing opinions as again, everywhere tells me different It doesn't make it easy )

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree that opinions across the internet are varied.... and frequently outdated - treating all torts as dessert species that need a hot and arid environment for example.

Here on TFO we try to give a single consistent message of the most up to date care.

If you read that link on caring for baby Testudo the temps and humidity are in there:

Directly under the basking lamp: 95F/35C

Otherwise 80F/25C - don't let the temperatures drop. This constant 80F is maintained by using a CHE with a thermostat so it cuts in and out as needed.

I won't say anything different to the care sheet, so please go with that.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Whooo

Been watching him today and am wondering if he sits with his eyes closed because his uvb light it too bright?
I'm using repti glo 10.0 tube strip light with reflector behind it. It seems when I switched it off briefly earlier and left his basking lamp only on he went back to his usual exploring and wondering around within a few minutes and came back for a short bask and went on his way again, soon as I switched it back on he sat back under his lamp tucked his head in a bit and shut his eyes and didn't move for over an hour.
Just checking this is the correct light?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The light is correct, but its position may not be. A photograph of the enclosure and lights will help us to help you.