Is Asian box turtle ok in outside pond in San Diego?

Krisztina Kemenes

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Hi Everyone, I need some help with our Asian box turtle. I've found conflicting answers in different searches, so I'm looking for someone with experience with these species. We've been told by the store employee, that they would be ok to be outside through the winter. We're hitting low 60's and our turtle seem to want to sleep for the most of the day. Do they hibernate? Would this be the time to build something for her indoors? I'd appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks in advance.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! I'm awfully sorry I can't be of help. You'll get the help you need with the experienced members so don't worry and good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You've made it sound as if your turtle lives in a pond??? Asian box turtles should be housed in an enclosure with half water, half land. Here is as excerpt from the Reptile magazine article linked in the last post:

"Some people keep their Asian box turtles outside year round because they can withstand cold temperatures. I keep a few adults outside in New Jersey year round, and they hibernate with some of my other box turtles.

Even though I keep a few of my turtles outside year round, I do not recommend it. They can die easier during hibernation, or the cooling period, than an eastern box turtle or three toed box turtle would. Another good reason not to hibernate this species is because more than likely you will not know their locale which makes it hard to tell if they are cold tolerant. Most imported Asian box turtles come from Indonesia and should not be hibernated at severe cold temperatures, but only cooled to around 50 degrees.

When Asian box turtles are active, try to keep an ambient temperature higher than 70 degrees and a basking area around 90 degrees. If turtles are kept outside during warmer months, the sun should provide all the warmth needed. Turtles burrow down a couple feet or more to prevent freezing in the winter. If turtles are kept inside, provide them with a heat bulb and a UVB light."

Krisztina Kemenes

San Diego
Thanks everyone, for the quick response, and all the welcoming messages. Although we have a pond, our turtle have a large dry area with shelter for her to be around. We're new to having turtles, and started with 2 aquatic turtles that are no longer with us (one has gotten away, and we couldn't found him, the other one has died from one night to the next morning, without showing any visible symptoms. ) We've been told by the pet store employee, that this Asian Box Turtle would be ok living in a pond, and can make it through the winter no problem. (We should have done our own research I know.) We will read and watch all the videos describing how to care for them, and consider our options. Thanks again, for all the advice and help!

Krisztina Kemenes

San Diego
Thank you for your attention. We are living in La Mesa, and Maya (our Asian Box turtle) is already lives inside our house.
First of all, I want to apologize if I made English grammar mistakes. I have just moved from Hungary. I am studying English.
To get back to the subject, I had two Red-eared Slider turtles in Hungary for 20 years and I loved them so much. Now, in my new life, I missed turtles so we built a nice pond. It is more than 600 gallons and there is a huge land with lot of plants and hiding places. After that we went to the animal store where we asked everything about outside turtle care. It was my big mistake. The man, who gave us all that advice, seemed like he was very professional about turtles. Finally we had bought two Eastern painted turtles. Everything was good until one of our turtles just disappeared. We waited two weeks and we went back to the store to buy another turtle, because our one turtle seemed lonely. The man in the store recommended to us an other type of turtle. That was an Asian Box turtle. We trusted him, like previously, so we bought that turtle. That was Maya. The first weeks they were good. Then our eastern painted turtle started behaving differently. At the same time, we found our missing turtle, so we were very happy. At the time, when we wrote the message here, our turtle he looked differently, died and Maya started behaving differently too. We didn't know, they got infection or something else happend. We started reading a lot and I just recognized, that was a huge mistake to put outside our Maya. I was so mad, but the most important thing was to save Maya. We separated the found turtle from Maya. We brought Maya to the doctor. She got some shots...now we are here... Maya was getting better after her first injections, but yesterday she got the second and she just sleep all the day. So i am just hoping she will be better. She got a indoor house, we take care of her very thoroughly. I read a lot about Asian Box Turtle. I was stupid and naive when I trusted that sales person instead of that I would read on the internet how to care these turtle.
Our other turtle ( Majré, Hungarian name) doing well in the outdoor pond and now I started to search a partner for him. and now I know it will be very important, to find same kind of turtle who already lived in an outside pond. I can't put out a turtle in winter who never lived outside. Am I right? I will appreciate your advices in the future and I will write what happen to our little Maya.
Have a great night.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Post a picture of your box turtle! Sorry I dint have any advice, I just don't see them very often!

Krisztina Kemenes

San Diego
Thank you for your pointers dmmj. Here are some pictures of her. IMG_2941.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2865.JPG Sorry, i don't have better pics. She is getting better, but I am trying to leave her alone. She started eating again :)))) and she fell a sleep on a piece of raspberry :)))

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
She's BEAUTIFUL!!! :)
You have such a great attitude towards learning about your animals, I think you are GREAT turtle parents!

turtlemanfla88

I agree with Yvonne G. When you get new animals always keep separate for at least 90 days. My Asian box turtle males are very aggressive towards female Asian box turtles and females of any species. I try to keep species separate. I do keep very few species mixed. my Asian box ,kwung-tung/ red neck pond turtle/nigricans, mutica mutica and other Asian species stay outside most of the year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your turtle outside does not need or want a companion. They don't get lonely. Other turtles are seen as combatants or intruders. In large enclosure groups can usually be maintained, but pairs are a bad idea.

Good luck in your search for finding the right care info for your Asian Turtle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you for your pointers dmmj. Here are some pictures of her. View attachment 106096 View attachment 106098 View attachment 106099 Sorry, i don't have better pics. She is getting better, but I am trying to leave her alone. She started eating again :)))) and she fell a sleep on a piece of raspberry :)))

The last picture in this series tells the tale, I'm afraid. This type of box turtle could be called "semi-aquatic." They really do best in a habitat that has a very large water section in it.

Krisztina Kemenes

San Diego
I agree with Yvonne G. When you get new animals always keep separate for at least 90 days. My Asian box turtle males are very aggressive towards female Asian box turtles and females of any species. I try to keep species separate. I do keep very few species mixed. my Asian box ,kwung-tung/ red neck pond turtle/nigricans, mutica mutica and other Asian species stay outside most of the year.
Thank you for your comments. She had a big and nice place and pond outside but we had to bring her inside. The doctor told me that we need to keep her inside during the winter. Now, she is in a smaller enclouser until she gets better. What do you think? Can I keep her outside when she is older? Are the turtles that you keep outside older? Do they have any kind of heating outside? I don't know, our turtles was maybe sick when we bought her, or she got a cold outside :(

Krisztina Kemenes

San Diego
Your turtle outside does not need or want a companion. They don't get lonely. Other turtles are seen as combatants or intruders. In large enclosure groups can usually be maintained, but pairs are a bad idea.

Good luck in your search for finding the right care info for your Asian Turtle.
Thank you for your comment. Perfect timing on the advice of getting a companion. I was thinking about it :)