Is an open tortoise table a suitable enclosure for leopard tortoises?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I think they recommend a closed chamber for a baby or hatchling. Maybe you could convert the table into a close chamber or partially closed chamber with a humid hide.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You can build a simple frame and cover it with plastic to enclose a table. You could use plexiglass too. It would look better, but be significantly more expensive. Young Leopards need very high humidity to grow smooth. If it is over 3 o r 4 you could probably get away with just a humid hide.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Open table will not grow a leopard smooth like they are suppose to be. They need a humidity of 80% with temps no lower then 80. This is for a hatchling upto two years. This is all in Toms threads below in my post. Please read them. The sulcata threads will also apply to,your leopard.

Torts forever

5 Year Member
What is the best breed of tortoise for the open top table trying to avoid hermanns an horsefield

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There are Greeks, but their care is much like the Russian and the Herman's. maybe marginated? I admit I don't know much about them so I could be wrong. It is pretty easy to make a partially closed chamber order to keep the table humid enough for many species.and if you live where it's already humid that helps too. And warm. But if you want a baby of any of the species I think you were going to require a close chamber of some sort because babies need much more humidity than adults usually. check out the species specific section.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California