CA
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Welcome stephanie from another So Cal member

sahdjb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Petersburg, FL

Hello, My name is Stephanie and I am a new Sulcata owner!! We picked our baby up over the weekend he/she is about a month old. My husband and I aren't new to turtles as we have three red eared sliders, but this is out first tortoise. I am already totally in love with the little one, who we named Malawi. I'm happy to have found this forum, and can't wait to learn all about everyone and their babies!

Attachments

• DSCN0047.JPG
    DSCN0047.JPG
    933.6 KB · Views: 6

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

sahdjb said:
Hello, My name is Stephanie and I am a new Sulcata owner!! We picked our baby up over the weekend he/she is about a month old. My husband and I aren't new to turtles as we have three red eared sliders, but this is out first tortoise. I am already totally in love with the little one, who we named Malawi. I'm happy to have found this forum, and can't wait to learn all about everyone and their babies!

Hello Stephanie and welcome to the forum. That is a nice looking hatchling Sulcata..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Stephanie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Adrian Priestley

5 Year Member

Hi, I have 3 Herman's, all rescue tortoise's. My first I aquired about 8 years ago, a fair sized male about 10 yrs old now and the other two a couple months ago. 1 female about 8 yrs old who is fine and a male who I would guess from the size is 5 may be 6 even tho he is supposed to be the same age as the female? I shall try and keep this short. When 'Doris and Rocky' as they are now known, first arrived I was told that they had been in hibanation and that they had been out for 3 weeks. Doris was fine, I put her in the garden and she was like a wind up toy, out o here. Happy, Umm, not so much with him tho. He was lack luster and floppy and he only floppy tortoise's I have seen in that state were dead. He went straight into a warm bath whilst I got on the phone to a vet friend, who got on to her friend's in Chester zoo for a bit of advice. Still after months of constant attention little boy is still not right. I have come to the conclustion that they were taken out of hibanation within 24 hrs of being given to me. If I had known this I might have been able to do more for Rocky. He gets bathed at least 3 times a day, he needs a bath to poo, if he doesn't poo he doesn't move, if he doesn't move he doesn't eat, O and boy is it fun force feeding a tortoise. I also think he might have a bit of a problem with his kidney's as well due to massive dehidration but we shall carry on until he's well again. I also have a dog (a westie) who gets on fine them and two kids 2 and 9, little animals themselves! My main interest tho is fish, I have had fish for over 30 years and at one time had well inexcess of 250 tanks. I love animals. Nuff said. Adrian.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

Adrian Priestley said:
Hi, I have 3 Herman's, all rescue tortoise's. My first I aquired about 8 years ago, a fair sized male about 10 yrs old now and the other two a couple months ago. 1 female about 8 yrs old who is fine and a male who I would guess from the size is 5 may be 6 even tho he is supposed to be the same age as the female? I shall try and keep this short. When 'Doris and Rocky' as they are now known, first arrived I was told that they had been in hibanation and that they had been out for 3 weeks. Doris was fine, I put her in the garden and she was like a wind up toy, out o here. Happy, Umm, not so much with him tho. He was lack luster and floppy and he only floppy tortoise's I have seen in that state were dead. He went straight into a warm bath whilst I got on the phone to a vet friend, who got on to her friend's in Chester zoo for a bit of advice. Still after months of constant attention little boy is still not right. I have come to the conclustion that they were taken out of hibanation within 24 hrs of being given to me. If I had known this I might have been able to do more for Rocky. He gets bathed at least 3 times a day, he needs a bath to poo, if he doesn't poo he doesn't move, if he doesn't move he doesn't eat, O and boy is it fun force feeding a tortoise. I also think he might have a bit of a problem with his kidney's as well due to massive dehidration but we shall carry on until he's well again. I also have a dog (a westie) who gets on fine them and two kids 2 and 9, little animals themselves! My main interest tho is fish, I have had fish for over 30 years and at one time had well inexcess of 250 tanks. I love animals. Nuff said. Adrian.

Hello Adrian and welcome to the forum..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Adrian:

Are you in the UK?

Adrian Priestley

5 Year Member

Hi ya, yes I'm in the UK. I'm from a place called Doncaster in Yorkshire. It's 6 am here and I've just got in from the night shift and straight on the computer to look for tortoise things whilst everyone is asleep.

Adrian Priestley

5 Year Member

Thanks for all the welcomes guys. There is so much of interest to read on here, it's great. Still trying to find my way around but it's taking me ages 'cos I keep stopping and reading.

jrudek

5 Year Member

hi my name is Joe. I have two daughters who are now very interested in adopting a couple of tortoises. One wants a Black Greek and the other a Redfoot. If anyone has one or any information on them please contact me :tort::D
Thanks Joe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Joe:

May we know where you are?

Its good that you're doing your research before you get a tortoise. And I'm glad you came HERE before you started buying stuff at the pet store. They sell you more equipment than you really need.

I have a few points I'd like to make, and please don't be offended by anything I say. I'm just trying to help you to make the best decisions.

First of all, when buying a live animal for your children, please remember, that YOU or your wife will be the ones who eventually end up providing the care for the tortoise. Some, maybe even most kids lose interest pretty quickly when they find out keeping a tortoise is more work than they get satisfaction from the pet.

Don't buy the most expensive vivarium or aquarium that you can find. Its quite ok to set up an indoor habitat using the largest plastic tote you can find, or even an old book case with the shelves removed.

In my opinion, tortoises are wild animals and do much better outside than inside. If its at all possible, they should have an outdoor habitat for when weather permits.

Please read through our archives about the redfoots and the Greeks and if you have questions, start a new thread in the appropriate section.

Happy reading!!

dustinhood

5 Year Member
Jonesboro, AR

My name is Dustin. I am a soon-to-be owner of a Sulcata Tortoise. I've been doing non-stop research and trying to get everything perfect. I want to keep it indoors. I plan to house it in a turtle table for as long as I can. I will soon be moving into a two-bedroom apt. I will have the other room set up as a lounge/guest/ Chanel (the name of my Sulcata)'s room. Once Chanel outgrows the turtle table he will have free roam of the house. Of course, I will be taking him outside almost daily to graze and have a large roaming area under my close supervision. What do you guys think of that? I'll be posting on several topics and asking questions. I look forward to talking to you guys and learning from youa nd hearing your experiences!

Add me on facebook: www.facebook.com/dustinhood2010

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

dustinhood said:
My name is Dustin. I am a soon-to-be owner of a Sulcata Tortoise. I've been doing non-stop research and trying to get everything perfect. I want to keep it indoors. I plan to house it in a turtle table for as long as I can. I will soon be moving into a two-bedroom apt. I will have the other room set up as a lounge/guest/ Chanel (the name of my Sulcata)'s room. Once Chanel outgrows the turtle table he will have free roam of the house. Of course, I will be taking him outside almost daily to graze and have a large roaming area under my close supervision. What do you guys think of that? I'll be posting on several topics and asking questions. I look forward to talking to you guys and learning from youa nd hearing your experiences!

Add me on facebook: www.facebook.com/dustinhood2010

Welcome to the TFO Dustin :)

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member

Hi,
My name is Desiree. I am looking to adopt my first Sulcata soon. I have an app in to adopt one from COHRS in CO. I have always loved turtles, two months ago my family had to go to CA for a funeral. My two children and I fell in love with a young CA Desert Tort. I wanted so badly to take him home with us back to CO. I resisted the urge and started researching instead.
Two months later my yard is escape proof (hopefully!!!), boroughs are being created. A tort table in the works of being built for winter and I am driving my husband crazy with all the research I have been sharing with him.
Hopefully we can find a tort that is perfect for our family.
Can't wait!!!
Desiree

Status
Not open for further replies.