Introductions/ Hurricane Irma

Tiny Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi everyone!! First things first, I am new to this forum and to tortoises, but I am so excited to be part of the tortoise loving community. I have a baby red foot, who is currently living indoors. However, I am planning to move him outside ( I've decided to assume that it's a him for now ) in the next six months to a year, once he's a little bigger.

However, if you live in the U.S., I am sure you have heard of the category 4/5 hurricane Irma currently heading towards Florida. Obviously, the power will be out, and I will have no way to provide him with heat, since I will not be able to turn on the lamps, and won't be able to bring him outside for sun, since it will be storming. I know they need heat to absorb calcium and digest food, so this is worrying me. I know the answer might be obvious to some of you, but as a first time tortoise owner I have no idea what to do!! Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's still warm, though, even with the hurricane? He can probably get by ok without external heat. And they can get by without UVB for a while too. If you have any way to heat up water for a hot water bottle, and you think he's too cool, you can put the water bottle next to him. Worse come to worse, you can always snuggle with him!

Tiny Tortoise

Florida
OK thanks. I can try and get some water warm before the power goes out. Do you recommend feeding him the day of the storm since it will be hard to digest? Can he go with out food for a day?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It won't hurt any turtle or tortoise to go a day or two without food.

richosullivan

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Hi everyone!! First things first, I am new to this forum and to tortoises, but I am so excited to be part of the tortoise loving community. I have a baby red foot, who is currently living indoors. However, I am planning to move him outside ( I've decided to assume that it's a him for now ) in the next six months to a year, once he's a little bigger.

However, if you live in the U.S., I am sure you have heard of the category 4/5 hurricane Irma currently heading towards Florida. Obviously, the power will be out, and I will have no way to provide him with heat, since I will not be able to turn on the lamps, and won't be able to bring him outside for sun, since it will be storming. I know they need heat to absorb calcium and digest food, so this is worrying me. I know the answer might be obvious to some of you, but as a first time tortoise owner I have no idea what to do!! Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Even during the peak of the hurricane our outdoor temps are going to be in the low to mid 80's. If you lose power your house will be plenty warm and humid enough for a few days without heat from a lamp/ electric heat source.

Tiny Tortoise

Florida
Thank you all. As a first time owner I have been pretty paranoid. I did a little intro here but I think I am going to make a more official intro on a separate thread.
PS - richosullivan you too!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree.
It will easily return into the 90s once this thing has passed.
And there will be tons of fresh UVB coming through the place that the roof used to be.:eek:
Pardon my sense if humor.
Make sure that your tortoise can't go flying off, or drown and best of luck to you.
Are you also in south Florida?
I haven't fed my tortoises today and won't give them much tomorrow because they're all coming inside for the storm(in totes) and the less they eat, the less they poop in the house.
Stay safe.

Last edited:

Tiny Tortoise

Florida
OK thanks. He is already living inside as he is just a baby, but thank you for the advice on feeding.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Tiny.:)
Hoping you and yours are good out there.

Tiny Tortoise

Florida
Thank you all. Everything went fine. My red foot is doing great. By the way, his name isn't actually tiny!! (it's Ranger)!!!