Introduction

Danyail

Hey everyone,
My name is Danyail I live in Illinois and I recently bought a Russian tortoise and 3 hermit crabs. I have had my tortoise for going on 2 weeks now and in the beginning I was very worried about whether he was eating or drinking. But recently I have been able to actually see him eat and even take a picture. I have him and the crabs in an aquarium all together, even though the pet store said it wouldn't work. And I wanted to share my babies with you all and get any advice that you may be able to give. Thank you in advance IMG_0084.JPGIMG_0097.JPGIMG_0087.JPGIMG_0083.JPG

Rachael403

Location (City and/or State)
NE, USA
Welcome! You have a beautiful russian.

I agree with the pet store, having the russians and the hermit crabs together is not the best idea. I would be concerned with fighting. It's not if it happens, its when. Its always good to keep all your critter children safe rather than regret something later.

Im not trying to be rough on you, I just had to put that out there.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hermit crabs and redfooted tortoises have been housed together by many keepers successfully as they have similar requirements in terms of heat, humidity, and diet. Hermit crabs and Russians aren't likely to be so compatible though. I would recommend building a much larger enclosure for your Russian so you can provide for both species optimally (and keep your tortoise from eating the protein rich crab food and potentially drinking their salt water).

Last edited by a moderator:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome, what a beautiful tortoise!

I can see you've put a lot of effort into that enclosure. :) There are a few things in it that can be improved; are you up to hearing some suggestions for improvement?

Russians are very active tortoises and need a good sized space to walk around. The first thing is that your enclosure is much too small for an adult tortoise. Do you have space for something larger? A cheap bookcase with the shelves removed and lined with a shower curtain is an easy tortoise table.

Danyail

Welcome! You have a beautiful russian.

I agree with the pet store, having the russians and the hermit crabs together is not the best idea. I would be concerned with fighting. It's not if it happens, its when. Its always good to keep all your critter children safe rather than regret something later.

Im not trying to be rough on you, I just had to put that out there.
I appreciate it! I do have a separate home for my crabs. The crabs stay hidden for the most part and Sheldon generally stays on his side of the enclosure. I will definitely keep all of my babies safe

Danyail

Welcome, what a beautiful tortoise!

I can see you've put a lot of effort into that enclosure. :) There are a few things in it that can be improved; are you up to hearing some suggestions for improvement?

Russians are very active tortoises and need a good sized space to walk around. The first thing is that your enclosure is much too small for an adult tortoise. Do you have space for something larger? A cheap bookcase with the shelves removed and lined with a shower curtain is an easy tortoise table.
Thank you! I appreciate any suggestions
He is out of his enclosure quite often to walk around and get his exercise but I will definitely invest in getting him something bigger so he is comfortable.