Introduction

Jason sexton

Hello, Im Jason Sexton. Ive raised eastern ornate box turtles my entire life and Ive always wanted to start with tortoises but Im afraid it would be too difficult. I live in northern Kentucky so the summers are hot and the winters are cold. I was hoping you guys could help me out with proper care and affection for tortoises, I was thinking about buying a Greek tortoise from my local petsmart and Im wondering if this is a good idea.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jason
Why would you buy a tort from a pet shop ? Get to know the people here by asking questions and get your tort from them ( better quality ) ! Raised better !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472276851.533961.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello,Jason, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum :)
Greeks are a great tortoise and will be fine for you as long as you get your set up right.
They are good in hot temperatures (40°C + here at the moment ) and can be hibernated in the winter if you like, though it's wise not to the first year you have one. Get your set up right to begin and you'll be fine.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/
to begin and then peruse our Greek tortoise section under the Species Specific Forums to give you a good idea of how great they are.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Cold winters are a challenge. Hibernating in winter is helpful. Having an inside and outside enclosures is als an option.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Better to buy your tortoise from a reputable breeder who knows all the details of your individual, than a wild caught animal from a pet store. I haven't seen any greeks for sale in a Petsmart for years. They lump the Russians and Greeks together, and I'm guessing you are looking at a Russian tortoise even if the label says Greek. Pure speculation on my part.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Personally, I find tortoises easier to keep than box turtles, so I think you'll be fine.

Jason sexton

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Cold winters are a challenge. Hibernating in winter is helpful. Having an inside and outside enclosures is als an option.
I would have an inside enclosure solely because we have a raccoon problem. Ive lost a couple turtles of ymto the raccoon finding ways to either tear out or get through the chicken wire. My only concern is that in the winter my house isn't very well temperature controlled and I dont know if just a simple heat lamp will be enough to support a tort, its always been sufficient for my box turtles but I know they can tolerate lower temperatures for short periods

Jason sexton

Hello and welcome.

Better to buy your tortoise from a reputable breeder who knows all the details of your individual, than a wild caught animal from a pet store. I haven't seen any greeks for sale in a Petsmart for years. They lump the Russians and Greeks together, and I'm guessing you are looking at a Russian tortoise even if the label says Greek. Pure speculation on my part.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Personally, I find tortoises easier to keep than box turtles, so I think you'll be fine.
If anybody would be interested in selling one to me please get in touch with me

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Hope you find the tort you want. Please do not forget to post pics.:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would have an inside enclosure solely because we have a raccoon problem. Ive lost a couple turtles of ymto the raccoon finding ways to either tear out or get through the chicken wire. My only concern is that in the winter my house isn't very well temperature controlled and I dont know if just a simple heat lamp will be enough to support a tort, its always been sufficient for my box turtles but I know they can tolerate lower temperatures for short periods

As you've seen chicken wire doesn't work. You'll need to use welded wire. I use the 1x2" size and that will keep out anything except for a bear. I don't know about box turtles, but tortoises really benefit from outside time in the warmer months. Here is one way to do it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

Also, if you have an indoor and an outdoor enclosure, they can be outside in fair weather, and then just bring them in at night or during inclement weather. Or a third alternative, just make a secure night box to lock them in every evening, and open the door every morning. Something like this, but on a smaller scale for a smaller species:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My only concern is that in the winter my house isn't very well temperature controlled and I dont know if just a simple heat lamp will be enough to support a tort, its always been sufficient for my box turtles but I know they can tolerate lower temperatures for short periods

Only your thermometer and your tortoises behavior will be able to answer this question. Everyone has to make adjustments for their individual situations. You will too, and our whole community here will be glad to help.

Jason sexton

Hello Jason
Why would you buy a tort from a pet shop ? Get to know the people here by asking questions and get your tort from them ( better quality ) ! Raised better !
View attachment 184876
Hello Jason
View attachment 184876
Anyone selling tortoises please contact me