Introducing Fish

Skyisthebest

I was thinking of introducing some smaller fish into my RES' tank; I think he gets lonely being alone in his tank. Anyone has any suggestions what fish is suitable and is small, and won't get eaten. I'm looking into zebra danios, would that be good?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
I was thinking of introducing some smaller fish into my RES' tank; I think he gets lonely being alone in his tank. Anyone has any suggestions what fish is suitable and is small, and won't get eaten. I'm looking into zebra danios, would that be good?
No matter what fish you put in the tank with your lonely turtle it will be considered food. Turtles eat fish part of the diet. You can get quicker fish that can maybe put run the turtle enough to make the turtle not go for it. Keep your turtle fed too that may help they stay away. Honestly I always lost fish in my tanks. Only ones that lived were tetras but even some were food.

Kyle

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I like to keep fish in with my turtles. It is a good indicator of water quality as the fish will show signs of distress quickly with poor water quality while a turtle is relatively unaffected until a possible skin or shell issue shows up down the road. Proper filtration will make ammonia and nitrite something you never should worry about once set up as the bacteria in the filter will easily convert those chemicals to inert nitrate. It's the nitrate that can eventually build up to extreme levels. Fish will "tell" me when its time for a water change or more plants!

I don't use expensive fish! Fish are food for a red ear, although they are naturally more opportunistic scavengers. A new fish in the tank will attract a lot of attention, while an established fish, not acting nervous is normally left alone. However, a hungry red ear in an enclosed tank will pick off a fish. A sick fish is almost immediate turtle food!

I normally put in a plecostomus or two, and perhaps some guppies. I'll also throw in some young minnows, bluegill, or even koi that hatched in the pond that year.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
unlike what you may have heard in Finding Nemo fish are indeed food not friends. Any fish will be a potential meal also your turtle is not lonely

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Now you've ruined Finding Nemo for me!
and im just gonna finishing up killing your childhood
3b7206cc2dd47aba778a64deaf99e5a8.jpg
cb924-clownfishsexchangecyclenemo.jpg

Skyisthebest

Hahaha what a weird change of topic! But thanks for the response everyone (and for ruining my childhood too. I was gonna watch Finding Dory today but now I can't help thinking about Marlin transforming into a female and... oh dear, Nemo nooooo :(