Intro of new tortoise ?

landon

5 Year Member
I have had my female for a few months now, she's about a year old from what the pet store told me. I was wondering if the introduction of a smaller female marginated into the same enclosure would be a be a good idea. I don't want to stress the one I already have out or have my girl kill the smaller one. Help please I'm wanting To get her a companion. Her current set up is the zoo med tortoise box and I think there's more then enough space to add another I just want opinions :)ImageUploadedByTortForum1384696029.461776.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Any time you add a new tortoise in with one you have had for awhile, your taking a risk. Having a large, heavily planted or with lots of visual blockers helps. As does having them the same size. Usually you have more problems with two, then with three or more. You may also end up with one male and one female, which can cause a lot of stress from unwanted and unending sexual advances. No matter what you do, sometimes having more then one in an enclosure will not work out. The probems may not happen right at the start or even be obvious, so it's your job as a keeper to always be on the watch for problems happening. For that reason, if you do get another one, you must always be ready to seperate them into their own enclosure.

As to if tortoises need, want, or like companionship that is open to debate. In the wild, they normally just come together for breeding and then part. However captivity is not life in the wild and behaviors do change or perhaps some just become more obvious.

So get another tortoise if you want, but get it for you, not your current tortoise. Good luck, if you do get another one. :)