Injured wild anole

Beck

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland/Central FL
You're awesome to take care of her!! She's pretty, do you know what kind? I wouldn't house any other anoles wither her, but there some awesome stuff they can have, like half-aqutic tank with fish an vines... I'd love to do that some day :D
Anoles can regrow tails, but I'm pretty sure it's not the same with legs :(
Thanks Yellow Turtle! Down here we just call them Green Anoles. Some even call them Chameleons or American Chameleons because they change from green to brown, but they aren't true Chameleons. They can regrow tails; the first thing I looked up was whether they could regrow other appendages, but it does not appear that is the case! I plan on housing her alone. She is wild so I would not want to introduce any pet-store animals to her and no reason to pull from the wild. I think she is happy feeling safe in her little tank, no one venturing into her territory! This morning was unusually warm and I saw four young ones warming themselves on the fence outside. I smiled and considered the fact that they might be her young (improbable, but not impossible).

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
The still unnamed anole completed her first shed in captivity today!! I am so excited! I feel very confident in her future life, now that I see her thriving and growing enough to shed. It only took her this morning really, and she had no trouble with her injured appendages.

20141122_092938.jpg
During her shed. If you zoom in, you can see the flaking skin on both rear legs, including the injured one. I was trying not to get too close; didn't want to stress her out.
20141122_123235.jpg
After her shed, resting.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm glad it is doing good. I admit that I don't know anything about these little critters. Do you think that the injured limbs will eventually just come off? Are they getting any sort of blood supply?

Prairie Mom

Oh my goodness! He looks so good and has obviously put on weight!!! You're doing such a good job! I'm so happy you have him:D

now..fall off ...fall off...fall off;) --I hope you have more patience than I do!

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
I'm glad it is doing good. I admit that I don't know anything about these little critters. Do you think that the injured limbs will eventually just come off? Are they getting any sort of blood supply?

Hi Leigti,
I'm hoping that the injured legs will eventually just come off. The back leg is the better looking of the two. There is a very clear delineation of dead to living flesh and a stump is forming around the end of living flesh. That stump looks like it will eventually knock off the dead portion. The front leg however does have a transitional area that is damaged but still getting blood supply. It will eventually have to either heal or slowly die. It's my main concern at this time.

Prairie Mom, I'm happy I found her too! I wonder how long she was out there like that...

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
20141124_131019.jpg

Some time late this morning her back leg came off. She has been resting today in various places in the cage, not eating (I'm not sure how soon they eat after a shed?), but does not seem too distressed by her loss. I saw no blood either. It makes me nervous that it came off this soon, but nothing to do at this point...

gustaf

5 Year Member
Since the injured legs are on the same side i bet it is a crush injury... Like his legs got ran over or something heavy got set on them or fell on them. But the fact that he is eating and drinking ia definately encouraging. Looks like u have a new pet that dependsvon you now for survival and comfort.

Prairie Mom

View attachment 106379

Some time late this morning her back leg came off. She has been resting today in various places in the cage, not eating (I'm not sure how soon they eat after a shed?), but does not seem too distressed by her loss. I saw no blood either. It makes me nervous that it came off this soon, but nothing to do at this point...
Hooray! I think this is GREAT NEWS! Don't stress too much about how soon, you just never can know with these things and the process is not complete yet. It was a little hard to make out in the picture, but I'm guessing that is bone sticking out??? If it is bone, now the next step will be that the exposed bone is going to take MORE TIME to completely dry out. Eventually, it too will become dry, brittle, and break off. At that point, I expect the skin will form a nice nub over it. SHE'S ON HER WAY AND YOU'RE DOING SUCH A GREAT JOB!!!

Prairie Mom

I was just staring at the picture again.. :) It looks like the piece of bone is pretty small, there is a chance the skin may cover it up. We'll see what happens. She looks really GOOD to me.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
EILEEN is doing well! Her front leg has come off. Both limbs are healing with no discernible issues. She is still learning about her abilities and disabilities. I am glad to provide a safe place for her to do so.

Thanks for the lizard love everyone!

20141204_093932.jpg

Prairie Mom

EILEEN is doing well! Her front leg has come off. Both limbs are healing with no discernible issues. She is still learning about her abilities and disabilities. I am glad to provide a safe place for her to do so.

Thanks for the lizard love everyone!

View attachment 108043
Come on, Eileen"!!! I love it!!!! It feels so appropriate some how:) I'm thrilled her other leg came off and she looks so healthy!!! @Beck , will you please do an "I told you so" happy dance with me???? -I never get to do those and we were both right!!! Woo hoo!!!

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Come on, Eileen"!!! I love it!!!! It feels so appropriate some how:) I'm thrilled her other leg came off and she looks so healthy!!! @Beck , will you please do an "I told you so" happy dance with me???? -I never get to do those and we were both right!!! Woo hoo!!!

Happy dance!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Lol Eileen huh? Certainly the first one named that I have heard of. Just glad she survived. It amazes me what animals can overcome. :)