Infa red heat bulb?

Ria

Hi all, I am quite worried and confused, since having my little spur thighed he hadn't done much basking, it worried me a lot! His heat bulb went last night so we got him an emergency one this morning, it's an infa red heat light his temp has went up to 100f which is higher than before, but he is basking a lot!! Which I think is good? He's been so active today and doing things I haven't seen him do yet! Is there a problem with what I'm doing as it seems he's doing better but maybe it's not good for him? All info is appreciated :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The basking spot should be 95-100. Most of us don't like the red bulbs as it can make their substrate look appetizing to them. Do you also have a bulb with UVB? The red bulb is fine for day time heat as long as he doesn't start eating his substrate. Don't use it at night though, they should have it dark. That's where ceramic heat emitters work the best for.

Ria

That's it at the minute, I've heard of the ceramic? Do yous recommend any in particular? I'm still changing about his house wanting to add more to it etc, he hasn't ate any of his substrate as of yet, I've been watching him like a hawk because I'm so amazed at how much more active he has been lol I feel stupid not knowing these things and I find the forum so amazing for that! I just want my baby to be happy and healthy!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486248385.169031.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He must have UVB. I like the mercury vapor bulbs for UVB. they give off heat, light and UVB. As for the che (ceramic heat emitters) any popular name brand is fine.

Ria

The strip light is 30% uva 5% uvb it's an 'exo terra' terrarium lamp, is that enough?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I wouldn't disagree with the folks whose experience is with the red lights causing their tortoises to eat the substrate ...... but circadian rhythm is only affected by blue light .... near infrared has been shown to actually help in falling asleep , it's also been shown to have many other health benefits ..... infrared light does penetrate the skin ......... if nothing else , imo , it's part of the spectrum you should provide your animals ......... jmo ........

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm just the opposite of Wellington. I use the red light at night for warmth. Most of my tortoise sheds have a 250 watt (way too big for your table) bulb on a 12 hour timer at night, and during the day they can come and go outside if they want to, plus the shed is still heated in winter during the day. Yes, the red color seems to make some tortoises want to taste anything and everything in the habitat, but here at my place, all my tortoises are asleep when the red light comes on. I don't use it during the day.

So my advice, and you can take it or leave it, is for night heat, either buy a $3 black light:

black light.jpg
(this would be the same as moonlight)

. . . or a $25 Ceramic Heat Emitter:

ceramic heat emitter.jpg

. . . or an 8 or 9 dollar infra red bulb:

infrared_basking_spot_50w_2141.jpg

I would not hesitate to use any of the above heat providers. You can always discontinue the use if it causes the tortoise to be awake at night and eat his substrate.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I use the CHE, myself.
I agree with Wellington on this, and personally wouldn't use the red lights, or even a black one.
The Che works for me, but that's just my choice, not actually used the others.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use the moonlight, black reptile heat bulbs that Yvonne posted above. They aren't as hot though as the red light you just bought.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The strip light is 30% uva 5% uvb it's an 'exo terra' terrarium lamp, is that enough?
It seems too high up. It also seems he needs more lighting I'd think. My redfoot likes it dim like that but I'd think your little guy would want it brighter.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I believe the study of nighttime red light on displaying nocturnal zoo animals during the day has been extensively done ......

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I believe the study of nighttime red light on displaying nocturnal zoo animals during the day has been extensively done ......
Indeed, to keep nocturnal animals awake so we can see them during our day.
Most of these animals are colour blind. Tortoises are not and can see red spectrum light well.
Nocturnal animals do not forage for food by colour. Tortoises may do and some say they are attracted to red objects and will try to eat them.
At night total darkness is more natural for them and is necessary for them to sleep properly.
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/Reptile-Lighting-Information/
(last paragraph, but all interesting) .
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/lighting.html
This also covers the question of black light.
A CHE seems a safer bet to me.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Indeed, to keep nocturnal animals awake so we can see them during our day.
Most of these animals are colour blind. Tortoises are not and can see red spectrum light well.
Nocturnal animals do not forage for food by colour. Tortoises may do and some say they are attracted to red objects and will try to eat them.
At night total darkness is more natural for them and is necessary for them to sleep properly.
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/Reptile-Lighting-Information/
(last paragraph, but all interesting) .
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/lighting.html
This also covers the question of black light.
A CHE seems a safer bet to me.
Where in the world is there complete blackness at night?
I personally don't like the red lights but I've used the black reptile incandescent heat bulbs for 20 years.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I personally don't like the red lights but I've used the black reptile incandescent heat bulbs for 20 years.

I don't think either way is wrong to be honest, these types of discussions could go on forever.

my torts at night retreat to humid hides that are complete dark and all my box turtles either dig in at night or go into there night house that is also completely dark. There is a lot we still don't know about these little creatures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I personally don't like the red lights but I've used the black reptile heat bulbs for 20 years.
Well, i'd imagine it's pretty dark in tortoise burrows and i know from experience it's fairly black under a forest canopy.
It's certainly not red.
And http://www.anapsid.org/blacklight.html

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't think either way is wrong to be honest, these types of discussions could go on forever.

my torts at night retreat to humid hides that are complete dark and all my box turtles either dig in at night or go into there night house that is also completely dark. There is a lot we still don't know about these little creatures.
Yep, mine too. Their hides are dark despite using moonglow black incandescent heat bulbs.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
She's talking about flourescent black lights and party lights.. We are talking about incandescent heat lights for reptiles..
I know.
She's talking about both but saying don't use the black, but use red, green, or blue or a CHE.
And I'm saying I wouldn't use coloured lights at night, or any, myself.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I know.
She's talking about both but saying don't use the black, but use red, green, or blue or a CHE.
And I'm saying I wouldn't use coloured lights at night, or any, myself.
The black are in the blue spectrum. She's simply saying use the reptile heat lights and not the party lights..... not saying don't use black.