Indoor tortoise

Tort1419

So here is what I'm thinking I will have a huge indoor cage with topsoil and coco fiver 50/50 ratio and I will grow edible plants all around his enclosure, plants healthy for him and grow fast like various types of weeds, this way he can graze. The other thing you discussed was lamps, what kinds of problems were you thinking of. I was thinking to have a headlamp by his basking spot and a uv striplight. Any problems with that. All in all his enclosure is going to look like the outside with grazae me plants and climbing rocks and such, the only thing is mimicking the sun, is my method of the lights good? Or is there a better way

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
All indoor heat lamps produce a terrible desiccating effect on the environment and their carapaces. Using a large closed chamber to help maintain humidity will help, but not eliminate this problem. Shell spraying and frequent soaks will also help. Some people like using various products like coconut oil or olive oil to help with this, but its a controversial subject and I don't have enough experience with that stuff to form an opinion one way or the other.

Strip UV lights are fine, but there are different types with very different outputs. The "regular" 10.0 types need to be mounted no more than 10-12" from the tortoise to do any good. A much more practical way to go would be to use Arcadia 12% HO bulbs in a reflector hood. These produce strong UV and need to be mounted at least 18-20" away from the tortoise. You can find them here http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

With what you intend to do, a light meter will be an essential REQUIREMENT. There is only one way to know if your bulbs are producing adequate UV to sustain an indoor tortoise. Have a meter and test them. Just like needing a thermometer to know your temps. I recommend this one: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
I have one and I know lots of other people who have them. They are accurate and reliable.

Tort1419

So what's so bad about the dedicating thing, is there a way to prevent it

Tort1419

but i can keep him humid and have the correct diet and lights, so i can keep him inside, and when we have some ok days ill take him outside in a confined area and let him roam around but i will never leave him alone outside

Tort1419

I think I'm going to get a Russian that is about 4-5" in length already so that is like juvenile to adult
And I pick indoors and healthy, hey I was wondering if I could stay in contact with u, I have a basic plan for having a Russian torotise indoors and it seems u have a lot of experience indoors and I would like to see if you could answer some of my questions

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Don't be discouraged.
Read everything you can here, ask questions as you are doing, prepare diligently and get your tortoise if you are absolutely committed to caring for it for the rest of your life.
if you are really, really serious, as you seem to be, then spend lots of money, get a great set up and enjoy a beautiful tortoise.
Don't compromise, make its life as good as it can be.