Indoor Plants!

BorisTort

5 Year Member
Okay, so I'm thinking about having a little indoor garden. Is there anything easy to grow and good for tortoises that I could grow indoors?

Thanks guys!

Brandonfij01

5 Year Member
If your growing indoor I would recommend a uvb bulb or right near a window for something to grow right... you might be able to pull off strawberries ,grapes,figs , some rooted veggies , I would recommend to grow in the summer and grow strawberries,blueberries,turnip, tomatoes (not in tortoise cage...tomatoes plant stems and leafs are toxic ) cucumbers,squash,pumpkin, many others just look online... I'm sure your tortoise would be grateful of them :)

Dorrie Siu

I thought root veggies and fruit are not good for tortoises....Also, tomato is a fruit.

Brandonfij01

5 Year Member
Carrots,strawberries, grapes,cucumbers, squash,pumpkin, turnip greens,tomatoes,and blueberries are all fine for a tortoise... just should not be given to very often, ( no citrus)and I didn't say anything about a tomato being a vegetable or a fruit.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
You know what is crazy, so many foods we generally think are vegetables are actually fruits?! I so did not know this until probably 3 years ago, not sure what brought up the topic.. but I Googled it and pretty much anything that is not the roots, leaves or stalk is a fruit. Cucumbers, squash, green beans.. so crazy!

Boris, let us know what you decide on... I was thinking of looking into setting up a Hydroponics or Aquaponics system and am very interested in what kinds of tort-friendly foods you are successful with!

Dorrie Siu

Brandonfij01 said:
Carrots,strawberries, grapes,cucumbers, squash,pumpkin, turnip greens,tomatoes,and blueberries are all fine for a tortoise... just should not be given to very often, ( no citrus)and I didn't say anything about a tomato being a vegetable or a fruit.

Oh I understand you didn't say anything about it being a vegetable or fruit, I was just confused because I thought fruit in general was bad for (at least MY) tortoise. And then I was just stating for those who did not know, that tomato is a fruit. I hope I didn't offend you.

Brandonfij01

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Indoor Plants!

Dorrie Siu said:
Brandonfij01 said:

Oh I understand you didn't say anything about it being a vegetable or fruit, I was just confused because I thought fruit in general was bad for (at least MY) tortoise. And then I was just stating for those who did not know, that tomato is a fruit. I hope I didn't offend you.

You didn't offend me at all [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH], What kind of tortoise do you own by the way...I didn't know of any tortoise that could not have fruit (I mean every once in a while not every day)

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I'm currently growing collards, kale, artichokes, petunias and marigolds for my little Arnold.

BorisTort

5 Year Member
I will definitely post if I successfully grow something for Boris! I'm excited to see if I'm a good gardener! :)

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Okay, so I'm thinking about having a little indoor garden. Is there anything easy to grow and good for tortoises that I could grow indoors?

Thanks guys!

oooh I know I love plants and you could grow weeds from the garden grasses or succulents