Indian star tortoise gender?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
But i am asking that empty box is sufficient or I need to fill it with soil or grass

Please read threads on "Enclosures." You'll find all the info you need.

Soil is not recommended, that I know.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
One more I wanted to ask that
I just brought them 3 days before
I kept them in Woodn box size about 4ft long and 2ft wide
So is that sufficient or I need to put some soil in box?
I really am not knowledgeable about Star Tortoises.
But they do need substrate. Coco coir; orchid bar or cypress mulch are the usual choices for tortoises.
They need as much space as possible, for most tortoises a minimum of 8' by 4' per tortoise is a minimum size.
Two together will fight or bully each other, torts don't do well in pairs. If you have a lot of space, Groups can work, yes maybe one more male, but they will need far more than 4 ft by 2 ft .
Hopefully someone who actually keeps Stars will be along in a bit.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Annudon1

Both your tortoises are females. It is hard to guess their age, but I will say the small one looks at least 5 years old, and the bigger one at least 8 years old. They could be much older. As mentioned previously, so much depends upon how they were kept, or if they are wild caught. So that is a guess to just give you something!

Please read the care sheets mentioned as well. That will give you the best ideas for how to keep them. This care sheet is written for Sulcata and Leopard tortoises, but I keep my stars identical to leopard tortoises. So that will give you great information.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

You definitely need a substrate. I prefer orchid bark. Coco coir works well too. Your tortoises need humidity, not dry. Do you live in India? An outdoor enclosure with unfiltered sunlight and shade areas is by far best. But please read and study the post I referenced above for you. Come back with any questions you may have.

I have Burmese Stars, not Indian Stars like yours, but the care is similar. Just to give you and idea of how I keep mine when I cannot keep them outdoors, here is a picture of where I keep mine in the winter and on colder nights.

IMG_4545.JPG IMG_2876.JPG