Indian Spotted Turtle Going Outside

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
We've had a few scorching days in a row, so I decided it was time to get the Hamiltonii outside. Enclosure is very simple right now. Just a 100 gallon stock tank, a couple water lillies, basking log, and a couple hides. He'll stay in the stock tank this year, but want to get it heavily planted, fish, snails, shallow areas, etc. Eventually, he'll have an in ground pond in the summers and the 220 gallon tank in the colder months. Todays temp is 85 and current water temp is 82. Will have to add a heater to keep him outside full time also. Our temps can go from 85 to 55 in a few hours bringing water temp into the 60s. He's shown that he can handle those temps but I feel better keeping him warmer. Here he is:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493843609.852859.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493843621.318108.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493843638.675369.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493843659.277674.jpg

Rachael403

NE, USA
Its a nice setup! Were you able to figure out the screen for the top yet? I looked into stalk tanks for my turtle children, but wasn't sure I would be talented enough to do the screen top :)

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Its a nice setup! Were you able to figure out the screen for the top yet? I looked into stalk tanks for my turtle children, but wasn't sure I would be talented enough to do the screen top :)

Don't use screen tops for my turtles. Yard is fenced in. No predators able to get over that fence where I live. Still, all tortoises and box turtles come in at night. All water turtles live in ponds that are well designed and deep enough to protect from any possible predators.

If you have raccoons or other skillful predators where you live you could put a lid on the tanks at night. Daytime predators are very rare, unless you have dogs...

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Very nice. Such a cool species. I remember looking at photos of them and drooling before I got some of my own and realized that I was probably better off keeping other things, haha.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Very nice. Such a cool species. I remember looking at photos of them and drooling before I got some of my own and realized that I was probably better off keeping other things, haha.

:) I'd feel more intimidated by the size if they weren't so tough. Sadly, i think he'll be a loner as long as he is mine. I have a pretty good setup for one. Actually dug his future pond today. Putting in liner now. Will be home to some rescue sliders for now. Don't think I ever want to dig a big pond again. Going to have to get into P.nanus soon.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493944696.849153.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493944721.270503.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493944741.579871.jpg

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Getting closer... Bog filter area is now filled with gravel. For those of you who don't know what a bog filter is, it's a "natural" way to filter a pond. Basically, I'll plant fast growing marginal plants inside the gravel (water iris, marsh marigold, parrots feather, etc) and their roots will filter the pond. By removing any soil that these plants would rely on for nutrients they are forced to get what they need from the water. The result is highly oxygenated, filtered water and a natural(ish) pond environment. In addition to the marginal plants in the gravel, Ill be adding peat moss to the bottom for water lillies, and lots of floating plants like water lettuce, hyacinth and duckweed. I live in the mountains so regular inhabitants of the ponds include newts, frogs, and different bugs that prefer ecosystems with water(dragonflies, Jesus Christ bugs). Another benefit of this kind of pond is that, once acclimated and growing, it will prevent algae from growing. The plants rob the algae of the nutrients it needs to grow.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494101206.599751.jpg

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
This is the test fill. Obviously more boulders need to be added. I like to add the last level of rock lower than most people. Adding it while the pond is full allows me to get it exactly the way I like it. Only about 3 inches above the water line. Then I'll cut the liner, tuck it behind the rocks, and pack it with dirt. But, that all comes tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494117148.154573.jpg

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Well, all plans on hold until peat moss settles. Didn't realize how long it would take to sink. Once settled. I'll refill the pond, get edges looking nice, and landscape (both water and land). I might take this time to build the short fence around it. Will keep this thread updated with progress.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
We've had a few scorching days in a row, so I decided it was time to get the Hamiltonii outside. Enclosure is very simple right now. Just a 100 gallon stock tank, a couple water lillies, basking log, and a couple hides. He'll stay in the stock tank this year, but want to get it heavily planted, fish, snails, shallow areas, etc. Eventually, he'll have an in ground pond in the summers and the 220 gallon tank in the colder months. Todays temp is 85 and current water temp is 82. Will have to add a heater to keep him outside full time also. Our temps can go from 85 to 55 in a few hours bringing water temp into the 60s. He's shown that he can handle those temps but I feel better keeping him warmer. Here he is:

View attachment 206490
View attachment 206491
View attachment 206492
View attachment 206493

Looks great..good job!! How old is he?

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Nice! How deep is the water? How many inches is he?