In-ground soaking pool for my Desert Tortoise

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
This is probably silly, but I have a half a bag of concrete mix left over from building an emergency water storage enclosure and was thinking of using it up on an in-ground soaking pool for my desert tortoise.

The thing is that I’m not sure if he will even use it on his own and it may end up as mosquito breeding pond. At least I can dump the water from my plastic tray that I use now into the vegetable planter when he’s done soaking. In all the years I’ve had this guy, only once did I actually see him go into a tray filled with water on his own. I think it was just in his way to where he was heading and he decided to go through it instead of going around it. :rolleyes:

I’m addressing this in the Desert Tortoise forum because I have never seen a natural soaking pond in the desert except for puddles after a rain which is usually during the winter months and dissipate pretty quickly after a summer rain. I’m not an expert, but I find it hard to believe that Desert Tortoises soak at all in the wild. :confused:

Anyway I was just wondering if anybody actually had an in-ground soaking pool for a Desert Tortoise and if you have any suggestions.:)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I made a concrete soaking pond but it's for a sulcata. He barely uses it but he does from time to time. I just have to make sure to broom out the water and replace it every couple days or it's filled with bugs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For my box turtles, I scooped out an indentation in their yard about 6" deep with sloping sides, then I mixed up the Redi-Mix and patted it into place all over the indentation. I left it rough for good footing. It has held up for about 10 years, but is now starting to leak, so will need to be replaced. Every morning I would go out there and scoop all the water out and refill it. I think this would work for a desert tortoise too.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I made a concrete soaking pond but it's for a sulcata. He barely uses it but he does from time to time. I just have to make sure to broom out the water and replace it every couple days or it's filled with bugs.
Every time I clean his water container there water bugs under it that look more like cockroaches and i hope they don't increase with the larger area, but I will not be picking it up. The idea of sweeping out the water got me thinking that maybe if I plant edible plants around it and I could sweep the water out to water them.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
For my box turtles, I scooped out an indentation in their yard about 6" deep with sloping sides, then I mixed up the Redi-Mix and patted it into place all over the indentation. I left it rough for good footing. It has held up for about 10 years, but is now starting to leak, so will need to be replaced. Every morning I would go out there and scoop all the water out and refill it. I think this would work for a desert tortoise too.
This is what I was thinking of doing except that I didn't want to get on my hands and knees to empty it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I keep a plastic bowl handy by their yard and I don't get on my hands and knees, I just bend over, using the bowl to scoop and toss.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Every time I clean his water container there water bugs under it that look more like cockroaches and i hope they don't increase with the larger area, but I will not be picking it up. The idea of sweeping out the water got me thinking that maybe if I plant edible plants around it and I could sweep the water out to water them.

That's what I did. I have some tall fountain grass and aloe Vera around it. It's about 3' wide, 5' long and 6" deep. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428858709.873472.jpg

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I’m getting ready to remove all my lawn and put in rocks or something to save water. The local water company is paying me to remove it so I’m going to need to grow something for my tortoise to eat and I think it will work out well having it around the soaking pool. Maybe it will even attract him to the pool.

I'm just now looking for the right spot to put it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you're handy, incorporate a drain. Just with gravity. I wish I had since my Redfoot about live in their pools this time of year and love to poo in them. I have to bucket bail and bleach them out two or more times a week.
I've been toying with the idea of making a depression in the next one for a small boat bilge pump. One that I could just attach a battery to and pump it out. Fill back in with a hose.
I'm always interested to see what others have done.
Mine are cement over paver bricks and covered with fiberglass resin for waterproofing.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I’m getting ready to remove all my lawn and put in rocks or something to save water. The local water company is paying me to remove it so I’m going to need to grow something for my tortoise to eat and I think it will work out well having it around the soaking pool. Maybe it will even attract him to the pool.

I'm just now looking for the right spot to put it.

Excellent that you are doing that. And great that there are rebates for it. Woo-hoo!
Succulents, many are tortoise edible, if not most all. So your growing succulent garden is your growing tortoise food garden.
Everyone should have succulent gardens. Even if it is a little corner. Here. There. Okay, everywhere.
Succulents and pollinator plants for our beloved bees. And edible flowers, too.
But succulents ... swoon ... I love all the textures, colors and forms. Sometimes they look like ocean coral or anemones to me.
And the great part is more variety of food for our little friends. Win-win-win.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Thanks for the photos Bruce, they are great. I started to build it last weekend, but I was thinking it would have to be larger and then when I started thinking about utilizing the water to grow a separate little food area, I didn’t know where to put it. It might be easier to find a location if it’s smaller.

I also like ZEROPILOTs idea for a drain, but it would have to flow out the side so that it could be utilized. I didn’t think about it, but I have an above ground fish pond with an overflow to buckets and I use a wet/dry vacuum to empty the buckets to stop the mosquitoes and I could do the same.

My real problem is finding a place to put it where it is out of the way.

IMG_2820.jpg

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
For the small pond I just swipe it out every day or so and put clean water in like you would do for a dog. I have plants planted around the small pond and it is under a tree, so when I sweep the water out it helps water those plants. As for the large pond I sweep it out every few day or when needed but I do have a drain on the out side that some of the water goes to. I also have small hose the puts fresh water in the pond every time my sprinklers go on.IMG_7513.jpg

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Johnnie = {{I find it hard to believe that Desert Tortoises soak at all in the wild.}} :confused:I agree Johnnie, I find it curious that the experts make such a big deal about soaking torts that live in dryness 90% of the year in the wild. BUT, I figure they know more than I do, perhaps torts in the wild would be healthier if they could soak sometimes. Funny thing is that Ariza HATES soaks and struggles to get out and I feel like I'm abusing her forcing her to stay in her plastic bucket of warm water.
I've been thinking of buying a glass lasagna container in a thrift store and burying it in the ground up to the top rim under the shade of the Mesquite tree. Then I can just lift it out to clean and replace the water (should be done every three days I think) and the water should be cool enough to drink because it's in the shade and in the ground. The lasagna container would be just big enough for Ariza to soak in IF and WHEN she wants to (she's 9x6 inches now). The area I plan to use does get sun in the morning so that would be great for the hot months if she wants to get inside the container and the water should be warm enough for a soak in the morning.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I’m still debating over where to put it and how much of the lawn to save. Yesterday my wife and I measured out an area that might work and already has grass, but she wants to save a much larger area then I was thinking because she likes setting out in the grass on lawn chairs. She claims there is less dust and its cooler with the grass.

My problem is that I need to fence off the tortoise area when I’m watching my daughter’s dogs and I would need a lot of fence to go where my wife wants it. I don’t like fences inside my yard and I’m trying to make a removable 5ft high fence strong enough to hold back her big heavy dogs, but the real problem is storing that amount of fence when I’m not using it. Right now I have 3- 8’x5’high fences to store and it’s already a problem. I would need at least 8 more to do what would be needed.

I’ve also been thinking of getting rid of the fish pond, but I can’t find anybody that wants them. I have some new neighbors that just started a pond and need to talk to them to see if they want some fish. I saw a couple of ¾” long dead fish on the side walk right near their pond and my fish are about 11 to 10 inches long so they may eat the neighbor’s fish.

Oh well, we are still hashing it out and I guess the concrete mix can wait a little longer.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I’m still debating over where to put it and how much of the lawn to save. Yesterday my wife and I measured out an area that might work and already has grass, but she wants to save a much larger area then I was thinking because she likes setting out in the grass on lawn chairs. She claims there is less dust and its cooler with the grass.

My problem is that I need to fence off the tortoise area when I’m watching my daughter’s dogs and I would need a lot of fence to go where my wife wants it. I don’t like fences inside my yard and I’m trying to make a removable 5ft high fence strong enough to hold back her big heavy dogs, but the real problem is storing that amount of fence when I’m not using it. Right now I have 3- 8’x5’high fences to store and it’s already a problem. I would need at least 8 more to do what would be needed.

I’ve also been thinking of getting rid of the fish pond, but I can’t find anybody that wants them. I have some new neighbors that just started a pond and need to talk to them to see if they want some fish. I saw a couple of ¾” long dead fish on the side walk right near their pond and my fish are about 11 to 10 inches long so they may eat the neighbor’s fish.

Oh well, we are still hashing it out and I guess the concrete mix can wait a little longer.

I made a impression in the dirt/mud , then smeared some concrete in the same shape, kept working the concrete until it began to harden....then left it alone for a couple of days....put a timer on a faucet, ran a little water line to the concrete wallow....and it would kick on each day for a fe minutes ....this was in another enclosure and the CDT would be spotted multiple times relaxing in the soaker....right in the center/deepest spot....so yes, they will use it...and you are still considering removing grass....folks need to realize that farmers use WAY TOO much water in this state on items that can be grown in other states where water is not an issue....thanks to that Brown guy----we regular folks are expected to stop showing and flushing while the farmers do no real changes...and while they keep growing those oh so essential almonds...lol....anyways, I am with your wife on the grass....I wish here in the high desert it was easy to grow the turf...I would have it all over the place....but anywhoo....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
IMO, you would want to use some metal mesh or chicken wire on top of your form and under the cement. Without this you run the chance that your cement pool will easily crack. I found this out with my first "free form" pools.
Water is no biggie here. It rains every stinking day. There is a canal next to every street. A pond or lake next to every development. The ocean is 11 miles to the east and the entire EVERGLADES is down the road to the west.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Thanks Angela, was planning on forming the thing the same way, but my yard is small and I'm always pushing wheelbarrows and hand trucks around the yard so I need to put it some place out of the way.
I have a place next to the house in a corner that is fill with large round river rock that he likes to hang out. I have no idea why he likes the spot because the rocks are 4 to 6" in dia and just looks so uncomfortable, but he goes there all the time. I'm thinking about opening up a hole in the rocks for the soak and maybe he might just sit in it just because it will be the only flat spot in all those rocks.

I've been thinking of moving to some place that has water and is still desert when Ii retire, but it will have to be out of state. I looked at some property in northern NV near Reno but its so far from my grand kids and I would have to move everybody up there with me.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks Angela, was planning on forming the thing the same way, but my yard is small and I'm always pushing wheelbarrows and hand trucks around the yard so I need to put it some place out of the way.
I have a place next to the house in a corner that is fill with large round river rock that he likes to hang out. I have no idea why he likes the spot because the rocks are 4 to 6" in dia and just looks so uncomfortable, but he goes there all the time. I'm thinking about opening up a hole in the rocks for the soak and maybe he might just sit in it just because it will be the only flat spot in all those rocks.

I've been thinking of moving to some place that has water and is still desert when Ii retire, but it will have to be out of state. I looked at some property in northern NV near Reno but its so far from my grand kids and I would have to move everybody up there with me.

I bet he likes that spot because he gets an over all warm up quickly....they do like warm spots to lay upon as well as out in the open sun for short stints..perhaps he is warming his gut to get things moving, does he visit that spot early in the am and then in the evening before retiring for the night?....I would watch where he likes to lay on those rocks and put the soaker a little to the side of the spot--so as not to disturb his choice spot...I would allow him to retain that spot for what ever his reasons are, you know what I mean?

Well, I bet your tortoise soaker will be a hit....the one I did in the other enclosure I talked about is now serving a different purpose here....where we live Ravens are an every day visitor...use to be that the neighbor would shoot the ground squirrels here that were trying to live under his buildings---which you know can create a structural issue....so he would then toss the bodies into a section of his property where his dogs could not get to them, well this would attract many ravens for feasting time, which was fine as the bodies needed to be recycled....however, while doing this the birds would get thirsty and low and behold, would drop into the CDT yards here on my property to partake of the water .....since I know I will not be able to rid the space of the Ravens, and they are a good clean up crew...I moved that big ole concrete wallow to a part of the yard where it is accessible to the Ravens, quail, sparrows, finch, road runners and all other birds...but not in the tortoise yards....it immediately cured the worrisome situation with them dropping in on the tortoise....so fair trade off ....now I need to make one in each of the four CDT yards....the water pans that are in their now are getting a little small for the tortoise as they creep up in size....