I'm officially a Tortoise owner!!!! My baby RT arrived today ;)

D1105

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
I would like to thank *Carol S* for giving me all the info I need to help my son and I get started in this hobby. Our tortoise was packed and shipped safely to us today (Thanks Carol). We haven't named her* yet but we should be able to fix that once the kids arrive from school today.

It's been a busy day today with my baby RT arriving while the glass for her enclosure was delayed a week. I had to put her in a temporary bin....

TORT_1%201%20of%201_zpsz3kbfgol.jpg

....and sure enough after she settled in (had the correct temps and humidity), my glass arrives to complete her new home....

TORT_3%201%20of%201_zps3x96f8ow.jpg

TORT_2%201%20of%201_zpsljsaejfb.jpg

Here she is checking out her roommates...

TORT_5%201%20of%201_zpsy7uxehhu.jpg

More pics to come....

-Michael-

Nice setup not sure about the Lego figure though he could possibly choke on it if the head popped off.

D1105

Chicago
No worries...the Lego was for size reference when she was in her temporary tub ;)

The baby didn't eat today or at least I didn't see it. She just walked around in laps around her new surroundings and finally dug herself in. I hope she will be in the mood to eat tomorrow. I also need to baby proof the top of the enclosure to make sure she doesn't escape and get hurt. I still have a bag of substrate to add another inch or two.

D1105

Chicago
Day 2 update.....

She finally started eating!!! I guess she didn't like large food tray under the shade and she just ignores it.
Tort_20%201%20of%201_zps2lk7o6lq.jpg

I placed a few pieces under the basking area and she started nibbling ;)
Tort_21%201%20of%201_zpsshalyyoe.jpg

45 minutes and a couple bathroom breaks later....she is still eating...woo hoo
Tort_22%201%20of%201_zpsblktc1ug.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a really nice big space. I have a suggestion. Wet the substrate more, then pat it down with your hand to make it less fluffy.

thehowards

5 Year Member
Central FL
That room is awesome love the tortoise enclosure and love a nice live reef tank looking good

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
The enclosure looks fantastic. I can tell for sure she is going to be a very spoiled little tort. I am glad that she is eating, pooping and settling in. Chubbs is a very cute name.

-Michael-

No worries...the Lego was for size reference when she was in her temporary tub ;)

The baby didn't eat today or at least I didn't see it. She just walked around in laps around her new surroundings and finally dug herself in. I hope she will be in the mood to eat tomorrow. I also need to baby proof the top of the enclosure to make sure she doesn't escape and get hurt. I still have a bag of substrate to add another inch or two.

Sounds good

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Very nice! Since you have some great space for her, you can always add real plants like pansies (Viola) and bellflower (Campanula). I still have to do this for my Russian tortoise, Steve. :) Love the fish tank and heat lamp holders too!

D1105

Chicago
Very nice! Since you have some great space for her, you can always add real plants like pansies (Viola) and bellflower (Campanula). I still have to do this for my Russian tortoise, Steve. :) Love the fish tank and heat lamp holders too!

Great idea! I just ordered a few plants from a member on the "Russian Tortoise Owners" Facebook page. From her posting...."I will send some Apentia which is related to the Ice Plant and has apple red flowers." I was going to plant it in a pot and didn't even think about putting it in her enclosure.

Picture from her Facebook post.....
plant (1 of 1).jpg

Chubbs is definitely loving the new plants in her home......She actually felt comfortable getting her food from the dish and kept doing laps around in between eating. She also finally hung out in the basking area to rest instead of hiding and digging inside her log.

TORT_40%201%20of%201_zpsrlbwgyvx.jpg

TORT_41%201%20of%201_zpsfjsq5mju.jpg

TORT_42%201%20of%201_zpsod03gvwp.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Cool! The Tortoise Table has a great database of safe food for tortoises, especially Russians. I have used a lot of the plants on there for my outdoor tortoise garden. :)