I'm a bit worried about my 1 year old russian.

erinlyndon

Hello,
My name is Erin and I am 14 and live in the UK. I got my russian tortoise, Pebble, in august when she was 10 months old. I did about 6-7 months of research before getting her and got her enclosure all set up a few weeks before she arrived.
She seemed to settle in very well, she was extreamly active when I took her in the garden and also in her indoor enclosure. She ate quite a bit and was awake for about 8 hours each day.

Now it has got a bit colder I have noticed that she is only awake 4-6 hours and is only eating small amounts that I have to put infront of her (her weight is 60g now but usually dips). She doesn't use the cuttle bone or the stone her food is on so i'm worried about her beak growth. She only really stays in the warmer side of her enclosure and sleeps there for ages, then sleeps in one of the hides or in the higher level later in the day.

I bathe her every day in warm water for 20 mins before school, she has about 6 hiding areas, the substrate is topsoil and is 10cm deep, she has sphagnum moss to keep in the moisture, I use a 100w arcadia d3 MVB, she has a variety of different foods (dandilion leaves and flowers, London pride, chickweed, lots of types of lettuce, rose pettles, petunia pettles, cucumber, plantain, chard, spinich every now and then, rocket, cloves, watercress, hosta, kale and fruit as a treat) one side of the enclosure is 21c and under the light is 32-35c, the humidity is 60-70%, there is a water dish but she doesn't use it. My enclosure is a tortoise table which is 110cm x 80cm.

Is she trying to hibernate? Is my care alright? any help will be much appreciated, I want the best for her.
I'll show you a pic of her table asap.
upload_2016-10-13_19-2-4.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises are a hibernating species. This is the time of year they start slowing down and stop eating in order to clean out their digestive tracts before hibernation. If a tortoise wants to hibernate its pretty hard to change his mind, but you have to keep the lights on for summertime lengths (14 hours a day) and not allow him to realize the days are getting shorter and the weather cooler.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @erinlyndon and a very warm welcome to the forum.

What a cute little tort Pebble is, and she's got a nice name too. Any pics of her enclosure?

Whereabouts do you live and what's the weather like back there, these days? How cold is it? Torts do tend to lose appetite in cold weather so you needn't worry.

erinlyndon

I live in England, in the east midlands, its pretty cold right now 7c. our house is always around 22c though. i'll take a photo of the enclosure in the morning when shes awake.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I live in England, in the east midlands, its pretty cold right now 7c. our house is always around 22c though. i'll take a photo of the enclosure in the morning when shes awake.

I live in Jordan where it's extremely cold in Winter. As a result, Oli (my beloved Greek tort) does lose appetite. Moreover, he does not hibernate any more, do not know why.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Its good to know its not just my tort who is like this, thanks:)
You are most welcome.

No, nothing to worry about. Torts also take time to adapt to change, which they do NOT like.

Look forward to seeing pics of Pebble's enclosure.

erinlyndon

If pebble goes to bed early what should I do?
should i turn the light off? should i leave it on to see if she will wake up again? or should I just wake her up and put her under the light?