Igloo sounds congested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern, USA
I noticed during his evening soak that Igloo sounds congested - perhaps not congested but I can definitely hear him making squeaks as he breathes. He is acting normally, eating like a pig but I did notice him blow a bubble out of one nostril...but that could have just been juice from the piece of squash he had all over his face.

He's eating spring mix, collards, and timothy hay. I'm trying to get him to eat some Mazuri but he hates it. I've soaked it with water, soaked it with water and sprinkled fruit juice on top, mixed it with apple sauce, mixed it with pumpkin, mixed it with squash pieces, mixed it with greens - nothing seems to tempt him. Any suggestions?

His basking temps are 95 and another spot at 110 - he uses both. His substrate is coir and hay. He has access to water, is also soaked every evening and misted with water in the mornings. The humidity is moderate at 40-50% so I don't think dehydration is an issue at this point. He is our only tortoise and we've had him 20+ days.
What is the best way to cure the sniffles if he continues to eat properly?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Your temps and humidity are all wrong please read the threads under my signature for clarification...

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
I looked at the first two links you suggested and the temps outlined are exactly the temps I have on my tort table (as I followed this post when I set it up). The thread you suggested says "110 degrees", I believe in my post I stated I have a basking lamp at 110 degrees. Neither post addresses a specific humidity % at all. Both just say "keep it humid". The third link you posted has 11 separate threads attached to it. Since the first two links you suggested didn't offer any new information - nor did they address the two topics I specifically asked for help with (a congested tortoise or eating Mazuri) I declined to sort through the remaining 11 possible threads but perhaps will at a later date.

Thank you for your attempt, but I didn't receive any help or clarification from your post. Instead of "your temps and humidity are all wrong" perhaps telling me a specific temperature (such as 110 degrees as suggested in your link and stated in my original post) or a specific humidity (since one isn't mentioned in either of your links) would be helpful - or perhaps a link dealing specifically with curing the sniffles? Or a suggestion to a Mazuri recipe that worked for you but I haven't tried yet? I'm all ears!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Clementine said:
I looked at the first two links you suggested and the temps outlined are exactly the temps I have on my tort table (as I followed this post when I set it up). The thread you suggested says "110 degrees", I believe in my post I stated I have a basking lamp at 110 degrees. Neither post addresses a specific humidity % at all. Both just say "keep it humid". The third link you posted has 11 separate threads attached to it. Since the first two links you suggested didn't offer any new information - nor did they address the two topics I specifically asked for help with (a congested tortoise or eating Mazuri) I declined to sort through the remaining 11 possible threads but perhaps will at a later date.

Thank you for your attempt, but I didn't receive any help or clarification from your post. Instead of "your temps and humidity are all wrong" perhaps telling me a specific temperature (such as 110 degrees as suggested in your link and stated in my original post) or a specific humidity (since one isn't mentioned in either of your links) would be helpful - or perhaps a link dealing specifically with curing the sniffles? Or a suggestion to a Mazuri recipe that worked for you but I haven't tried yet? I'm all ears!

Hiya!

The first thread in mainey's signature says:

Tom said:
If you can keep your humidity around 80% at tortoise level, you'll have a healthy, well hydrated, pyramid free, happy tortoise. Sometimes I cover part of the top of the enclosure to hold in humidity.

I can't help with detailed sulcata care, but 'the sniffles' is an upper respiratory infection and can be fatal in tortoises. Try boosting the humidity, and if your tortoise doesn't recover then pay a visit to the vet. :)

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
Thank you! I see that is posted under substrates - I was looking in the section that directly addressed humidity. I appreciate your help.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
When my sulcata has a runny nose, clear and not thick or yellowish, it usually means that he is getting too cold at night. I'll double check the temps, especially the night time temps, and up them a little bit. The other possibility is that there is some mold in the hay you have in the substrate. My tortoise lives outside and he has hay in his night box. Sometimes I just have to clean it all out and put in new hay. I think it gets a little dusty and irritates his nose. Just a guess, but that's what I do.

Not all tortoise's like Mazuri. I would keep offering to him and let him decide when to eat it. Mine took to it right away. Still, sometimes I offer it to him and he walks away preferring to graze in his garden.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
Excellent! Thank you so much - I will definitely check his night temps again to be sure he's plenty warm and I've already bumped his humidity up to 80% so hopefully, that will remedy any issues. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.