if you have groups of two or more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
tortoises, when it's feeding time, how do you ensure that they each get an adequate amount of food (and that someone else doesn't hog it all?)

also... what is the biggest size difference you would keep together?

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
cvalda said:
tortoises, when it's feeding time, how do you ensure that they each get an adequate amount of food (and that someone else doesn't hog it all?)

also... what is the biggest size difference you would keep together?

My 5 Sulcata's have been together since they each arrived within a month of each other. At that time they ranged in weight from 3/4lb to 17lb. Now their aprox 2lb to 30lb. The one lil guy never gets bothered by anyone and sort of rules the roost.

They have developed sleeping/eating buddies when inside the shed. The lil guy and 2 of the 7-8lb guys shack up, bask and eat together. The other 7-8lb tort shacks up, basks and eats with the largest. I put out 2 large feeding trays and one gets placed behind a gate so it is only accessible to the 4 smaller torts.

I wouldn't suggest anyone mix sizes like I did but my Sulcata's just live well together and I have a lot of outdoor space for them to be alone. I had a few initial months when I had issues with the 2 mid size ones ganging up with the last arrival that was their size. The new one had been ill and has MBD. He was a weak tort and they sensed it and would ram and flip him to show their dominance. I had to separate him for a few months as he rebuilt his strength and gained some weight. No issues when I reintroduced.

The 3 Star's eat as they want to from one large feeding dish.

The large Leopard eats and lives alone and the 2 small ones eat and live together.

If the tort's are all gaining weight their eating so I don't monitor who eats how much. If I had a slow grower I'd feed him separatly to make sure he is not being bullied out of enough food.

Misty
5 Sulcata's
3 Leopard's
3 Indian Star's

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I have a LOT of food dishes:rolleyes: so everyone is busy with their own dish. Sometimes I even spread them out so they are off by themselves, it depends on how they are acting.
Every once in a while the smallest male will sit on whatever dish the female is trying to eat from. I put them in separate corners with a couple hides between them if he is acting up. lol

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
LOL Well what if they don't all want to come out and eat at the same time?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have several food dishes out and I put two turtles or tortoise to each food tray. A few ideas watch and when the sleepy ones decide to come out, put food in front of them so that they could eat. Or after everyone else eats add a little more. If they are gaining weight, then you know they are getting food. Just my thoughts.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
I have 1 dish per 2 tortoises.

I monitor them for 30 minutes, and i do it like this.
15 minutes per tortoise....this way i know they're eating the right amount.
My tortoises rarely eat a full dish between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.