if RT happy under basking should I put him outside anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
las Vegas, NV
So, Comrad is happy under his basking light right now. He's not interested in eating, just sunning and snoozing. He is in his newly remodeled room.... and I don't know if he is too keen on it or not.

I normally put him outside around 9:30 -10ish in the morning, when there are sunbeams for him to bask in (it's a nice 62 out today - and I double checked today with my ghetto thermometer to make sure it's warm enough).

Just wondering if I should disturb him and put him outside or just leave him alone..... Suggestions?? (I should probably leave him alone huh? :p)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
My Little Guy Spends The Day OutSide Usuallly Everyday if the Weather Permits,
Nothing Better Then UV From The Sun :)

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
So I woke him up and stuck him outside at 11 this morning (I'll probably leave him there until 2ish when the sun beams leave my backyard). Our ghetto thermometer (it's a nice working thermometer but isn't the one you would get at the pet store) said it was a toasty 90 where he likes to sit and bask (on the concrete outside of my slider door) :)

He has now moved a little and is in his 2nd favorite sunning spot on the gravel. He's all stretched out (legs and head) enjoying himself :)

Thanks for the advice, wanted to make sure I wasn't disturbing him too much

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yep, real outdoor sunlight whenever possible. In the case of Russian tortoises, when ambient temperature is from 68*F to the mid-80s (or else they'll seek shelter).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Real sunlight whenever possible.

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
@GeoTerraTestudo, so when it's super hot here in Vegas during the spring/summer and early fall I should keep him inside as well??? The temps get up to the low 100's and it's a DRY heat...... I thought the heat would be good for him, glad I'm checking on this now before it is that hot :)

Just checking since you said "In the case of Russian tortoises, when ambient temperature is from 68*F to the mid-80s (or else they'll seek shelter)."

Status
Not open for further replies.