Identifying Tortoise

Senna82

Hello,

I've just joined the forum and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me identify the type of tortoise we've had in the family for about 60 years. My mother had her from when my mother was born (1950) but there isn't a trace on where she came from before.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Senna82

20150518_140153.jpg 20150518_140143.jpg 20150518_140229.jpg 20150518_140401.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
That is without a single doubt a gorgeous ad impressive female Marginated tortoise (T. marginata). Awesome animal.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the :tort: forum! Very cute tort, GOD bless.

Senna82

That is without a single doubt a gorgeous ad impressive female Marginated tortoise (T. marginata). Awesome animal.

Thanks so much for your quick reply and letting us know what type she is! That's really good to know and it's much appreciated :)

We've been trying to find a rough age for her but understandably that's hard. Having checked it would appear we've had her since about 1958 when my mum was 8 years old. She was given to my mother's parents as a stray then.

Are there any useful places to look online regarding identifying the age of a tortoise? I'd heard that rings could still form at 90 years old but whether that's true I don't know. It would be wonderful to try and get a ballpark age.

Incidentally she's 13.5 inches long and as spritely as ever!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You can count rings to age a tree because they only grow one ring a year, however, tortoises might have two or three growth spurts during a year, and again they may have none. So that's not a good way to know a tortoise's age. There is no way to know unless you know when they hatched.

Tim84

Welcome! Looks like you've joined with a similar story to me, I'm certainly feeling the responsibility having an inherited tortoise!

:tort:

Senna82

Thanks for all the comments and feedback ladies and gents, it's much appreciated :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. You have a awesome tortoise there. What a beauty! ! ! !

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Hello, what a special tortoise you have! I love that it has been in your family for so long! Does she have a name?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You can count rings to age a tree because they only grow one ring a year, however, tortoises might have two or three growth spurts during a year, and again they may have none. So that's not a good way to know a tortoise's age. There is no way to know unless you know when they hatched.
When I began to take my Greek tort out for 'walks' in the sun, children used to surround me and begin to ask all sorts of questions. Now when one little boy asked me about my tort's age I said: 'I don't know.' 'I'll tell you,' he said, and he began to count the rings! 'Ok, you counted 15 rings. Are they days, weeks, months, years, what?' 'I think years' he answered, confirming that this is INCORRECT.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
That is one impressive lady marginated. Here's to another fifty years!

T.G.