Ideas for outdoor enclosures?

TacoTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Capital of California
I don't have enough room in my house, so i decided to build an outdoor enclosure. The problem is i have no idea how to build one. I was thinking i could dig a big hole 10x10x10 but i'm not sure i'd be able to dig that. So i need some ideas on what i need and how i should build my outdoor enclosure.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Personally I think you need to really study up on this for another year and read as much info as possible before you take on such a big challenge.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You won't need to dig a hole. Just section off an area and fence it. I use corral boards. They're 16' long by appx. 5" wide. I set 4x4 posts every 8' then I nail up the boards to the posts. I lay rectangular cement stepping stones along the inside of the fence. Here's a bit of a picture:

Russian Yard 4-4-12 b.jpg

TacoTortoise

Capital of California
You won't need to dig a hole. Just section off an area and fence it. I use corral boards. They're 16' long by appx. 5" wide. I set 4x4 posts every 8' then I nail up the boards to the posts. I lay rectangular cement stepping stones along the inside of the fence. Here's a bit of a picture:

View attachment 119443

Wow i can't believe i haven't thought of that :/

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You can buy 2"x12" boards (think big 2x4) that are 10' long. Buy 4 and screw them together to make a square frame. Place this on a section of your yard and Tah-dah! A 10x10 or 100sqft enclosure.

Adding to that:
You could have this frame around a tree or other plants for shade.
Include a shallow pond for drinking, self soaking. This could be a paint tray or large plant base dish
Make a cave or hide with rocks or wood
...the list of ideas is endless