ID My Tortoise/ Introductary Post

PythonChick

Hey everyone! My name is Emily. I am new to the world of Tortoises. I have kept and raised Ball Pythons for many years, and also cared for a particularly grumpy Bearded Dragon named Yoshi for quite a while. I recently took on a rescue Tortoise who couldn't stay with his current owner. I was told he was a Russian, but he is a bit larger than I expected him to be. Regardless he appears quite aged, from his rather unkempt beak and claws to the condition of his shell. I am also pretty sure it is a male (long tail, concave underbelly, etc). I would love to know if there is any other way to tell male from female.

Anyhow, I want to try and confirm his species, so I can figure out what sort of permanent setup to get for him and how large I can expect him to get. Thanks for the help!

Shell Length: 6 Inches
Width: 4.5 Inches

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. That is indeed a Russian. Hard to tell by the pic, but if he has a long tail and is concaved, he is most likely a male. Unless a weird female:D. He also is wild caught, 99% sure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Emily, and welcome to the forum!

It IS a Russian tortoise (Testudo horsfieldii), however in order to know its sex we'll have to see a picture of the tail. Russian tortoises have flat plastrons, the male's don't concave like other species.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Emily welcome to the TFO from AZ. We need to know where you live because the best for any tort is outside in the sun and fresh air . But if you live in the far north. That's not possible . Then we have to sagest something else good luck with your new child ( the RT )

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
From what I can see of the tail in the first photo, I am going to go with it being a male. Your substrate looks like it might be just a tad dry. Nice tortoise you have. :) Before I forget, welcome to TFO, it's nice having you here. :) Welcome to another adventure into the reptile world.

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Welcome to the forum!
Looks like a Russian tortoise to me! As for gender, I'm fairly certain that you have a male on your hands. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yvonne G said:
Hi Emily, and welcome to the forum!

It IS a Russian tortoise (Testudo horsfieldii), however in order to know its sex we'll have to see a picture of the tail. Russian tortoises have flat plastrons, the male's don't concave like other species.

Really, not concaved? I didn't know that. My Russian, which is a male, is concaved. Not like my leopard, but is still a little what I would call concaved. Hmm, learn something new every day. So, any suggestions on why they would be concaved?