I want to adopt a sulcata tortoise in southern CA

Flex

Hello everyone im looking to adopt a sulcata tortoise doesnt really matter wat size i have a 20 year old tortoise n i had it for 2 yrs so im trying to find it a buddy like i said doesnt matter the size im in inland empire CA but willing to go to OC. , LA countys thank u

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I hate to shoot you down, Flex, but your existing tortoise is going to be very unhappy if you add a competitor to his territory. A 20 year old tortoise is going to fight off the intruder like crazy, maybe injuring it or even killing it.

Tortoises are not herd animals, they are solitary. And just like a male Jaguar or leopard will chase off any other male cats, so will a male tortoise. Now, if you want to build a second enclosure so both tortoises can have their own territory, go right ahead. There are many sulcatas in rescues looking for homes.

Flex

Ok kool yea ive owed diferrent types of tortoises for couple if years now but this is my first sulcata but yea i wpuld like to get another one n make a seperate incloser n how can i find tortoise addoption center ? Is it difficult to adopt one from there

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do a search for the chapters of california turtle and tortoise club they usually always are looking for homes for sulcatas there are many, many sulcatas looking for homes.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Definitely do another complete habitat area. No two ways about that.
Sulcatas do not like to be paired up. Terrible Twos = fight to the finish = death.
Good thing you looked in to it here on TFO. Heed the warning. Two bulldozers together can do much harm.

Flex

Ok kool thanx everyone for the info i will still keep looking for a tortoise but this time i will put them seperate i wouldnt want them hurting each other

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you want a tortoise with a sulcata personality, look at russians, they are often called little sulcatas. Getting another tortoise is a great idea, keeping them seperate is an even better one.

Zura

If you want a tortoise with a sulcata personality, look at russians, they are often called little sulcatas. Getting another tortoise is a great idea, keeping them seperate is an even better one.
Im not looking to adopt. I hv 2 sulcatta tortoises. Got them when we were living in CA. Now we lived in Wyoming. They are not happy being cooped up like 9 mths coz winter is long here. So me and my husband are thinking abt letting them be adopted to someone living in warm places with a place for them to roam.

Flex

Yes im interested on the sulcatas i private messages u for more info thanx

Ken A

Central Coast of California
Yes im interested on the sulcatas i private messages u for more info thanx
Flex, If Arroyo Grande isn't too far for you (up by Pismo Beach) there is a great Turtle and Tortoise rescue there. Bob has so many sulcatas there in rescue that he will give them away to a good home. Here's their site:
http://turtletortoiserescue.org/

If you get a chance take a tour of the facility. Bob has a 5 acre lot with every breed in there including Galapagos tortoise! He is part of the San Luis Obisop county chapter of CTTC (Calif Turtle and Tortoise Cub)

tanle1988

11541000_10153048585289405_3751594769704578250_n.jpg
10407475_10153048584904405_5176487197747231710_n.jpg

Here are my sulcatas

Kenny Chang

Hi, I live in Chino and have one about 6 years old. I am moving out the area and have to give it up for adoption. Please let me know if you are interested.

Flex

Hi, I live in Chino and have one about 6 years old. I am moving out the area and have to give it up for adoption. Please let me know if you are interested.
Hello sorry got late response but if u still have the sulcata for adoption im still interested