I think my tortoise has shell rot. Please help! :( (pictures included)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I think my poor leo has shell rot. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I bathe him once a week, Feed him either kale or mustard greens everyday, smallish size inside enclose, 100-105° in the day. Help me please!View attachment 208588View attachment 208589View attachment 208590View attachment 208591
Please read through the sections on care under the species for your tortoise. More frequent soaking, much better diet, improved enclosure is needed from the little you are sharing.

As far as your concern - that does not look like shell rot. That looks like heat damage from a tortoise sitting on a heated surface with heat from below. Are you using a heat pad, or some type of bottom heat?

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
100-105 degrees is too hot for your tortoise (russian tortoise from what i'm assuming?) It should be 95-100 directly under the heat lamp and around 75-85 elsewhere. the night time temps can dip down to as low as 60. As Mark suggested take a look at the caresheet for your tortoise species we have. its VERY helpful. I used it when I bought my tortoise. still refer to it sometimes when I am a bit unsure. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You do need to read the care sheet and make some big adjustment. A heating pad should not be used for a tortoise. You need to get rid of the heat pad if you are using one.
You also are not providing enough variety in the diet, you have incorrect temps, possibly to high a humidity or too wet of a substrate and if you are not providing at least a 4x8 foot enclosure, then that is wrong too.
Post pics of the whole enclosure and we can help you make changes.

Jerrell

Please read through the sections on care under the species for your tortoise. More frequent soaking, much better diet, improved enclosure is needed from the little you are sharing.

As far as your concern - that does not look like shell rot. That looks like heat damage from a tortoise sitting on a heated surface with heat from below. Are you using a heat pad, or some type of bottom heat?

Thanks for your response! The only heating I use it the light no bottom heat but maybe since I use a small glass enclosure maybe that's the problem. Less circulation. And are you sure the white spots aren't shell rot cuz I'm super worried and I might to to a specialized vet but it's so expensive. I'm only a kid so I can't really afford it. Thank you!

Jerrell

You do need to read the care sheet and make some big adjustment. A heating pad should not be used for a tortoise. You need to get rid of the heat pad if you are using one.
You also are not providing enough variety in the diet, you have incorrect temps, possibly to high a humidity or too wet of a substrate and if you are not providing at least a 4x8 foot enclosure, then that is wrong too.
Post pics of the whole enclosure and we can help you make changes.
Did some research and I realized how terrible my enclosure is. I feel so terrible. I'm going to try making a new one asap. IMG_2684.JPG

Jerrell

100-105 degrees is too hot for your tortoise (russian tortoise from what i'm assuming?) It should be 95-100 directly under the heat lamp and around 75-85 elsewhere. the night time temps can dip down to as low as 60. As Mark suggested take a look at the caresheet for your tortoise species we have. its VERY helpful. I used it when I bought my tortoise. still refer to it sometimes when I am a bit unsure. :)
Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Jerrell, and welcome to the Forum!!

Please relax, and quit beating yourself up. You're now taking the correct steps to make sure you are doing right by your tortoise. That's all anyone can do.

I see the spots that are concerning you. I don't think that is active shell rot, but rather old peeling and scuffing. Just to ease your mind, ask your mom to buy a tube of athlete's foot cream for you, and apply it daily to those spots. First of all, scrub them with a toothbrush, dry good, then rub in the cream.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop.

Jerrell

Hi, Jerrell, and welcome to the Forum!!

Please relax, and quit beating yourself up. You're now taking the correct steps to make sure you are doing right by your tortoise. That's all anyone can do.

I see the spots that are concerning you. I don't think that is active shell rot, but rather old peeling and scuffing. Just to ease your mind, ask your mom to buy a tube of athlete's foot cream for you, and apply it daily to those spots. First of all, scrub them with a toothbrush, dry good, then rub in the cream.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop.
Thanks for the advice. Should I use Betadine once too?