I super want a desert tortoise!! I need some really good tips on how to take care of it

lilmegtgood

Can you have just one tortoise? How much do they cost? Tell me more about what to do when they hibernate. Thanks I appreciate it! I will let you know when I get one!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
there no cost involved in adopting one. They are adopted through your state's fish & game. how many can have depends on your States law.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Can you have just one tortoise? How much do they cost? Tell me more about what to do when they hibernate. Thanks I appreciate it! I will let you know when I get one!

Since you are in Colorado, what type/species of "desert tortoise" are you referring to?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
A CA desert tortoise must stay in CA. I think that goes for AZ and TX deserts too

Have you considered a Russian, Greek, or Hermann tortoise?

Those guys could work for you in Colorado. Build a nice outdoor garden for yours to use during good weather and build a large indoor enclosure for winter. Eventually you could consider brumation for the winter and claim your house space back ;)

lilmegtgood

I am also maybe considering getting a pancake tortoise do you think that would be able to live in Colorado? Or should I get a Greek, Herman, or Russian tortoise?