I Need Help with heating for my 6 month old Hermanns

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
She is so cute! How big do Greek torts grow to?
I'm biased towards Greeks, of course, but i'd pick a Russian over a Hermann's myself.
But I think Hermann's are very pretty.
Greek females are usually bigger than the males but the size is usually 5 to 8 inches here, some get as big as 10 or 11 inches but this is uncommon.

Newark, DE
Do you have to pick up the torts at the compound or do they ship them to you?

Thanks,
John and Ted
Hi John - if you are looking for a Hermanns and are in New Jersey - you have two great resources in your own back yard! Garden State Tortoise and GBTortoise (NY). I got my little Dalmatian from Gary (GBTortoise) and she is awesome!! Just a perfect little baby. He has also been so helpful in making sure I have her set up perfectly and continues to answer my never ending questions. He also sells Greeks I believe. Garden State Tortoise is also very well known and respected. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Good luck :)
Bobbi

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
I am getting a 6 month old tortoise off Tortoise Town and I don't know what heating and lights should go in the Zoo Med Tortoise House. Thanks
I personally like arcadia their products are just top quality. You can go for an MVB which combines both heating and UVB that would be the easiest choice. I myself use an MVB but I will switch it for a basking bulb and use a t5 tube for the UVB and D3. I Think that using a uvb tube will spread out the UVB Through out the entire enclosure rather than just have it focused in one place. The only downside to this is that you'll need a solarmeter to make sure that the UV reading isn't to high or to low. Since the tortoise you'll be getting is 6 months old, I highly recommend you get a hygrometer to check humidity levels. You can plant a spider plant in the enclosure as long as is not being treated with nasty chemicals, you can buy them from reptile shops. I noticed that plants help maintain humidity levels. Tortoise tables from my own experience don't hold humidity very well but you can cover the top latch with a see through material such as a shower curtain but make sure there is also some good ventilation. I myself have a hermanns and he just turned 1. When I received him he had some pyramiding and this was due to the breeders keeping their tortoise in plastic tray without any humidity. In the last 3 months i've had him his shell has started to even out and I'm very positive that he will have a sexy looking shell by the time he is full grown.