I need help. I think one of my sulcatas is bullying the other two. What do I do?

Megword

Me and my husband got a sulcata tortoise a couple weeks ago. We were told its about 1 year or 1 1/2 years old, its about 6 or 7 inches long. We thought they needed companions so we got 2 more. Our new 2 babies are hatchlings. They hatched in august and so they are about 4 months old or so. They are about 2 inches and 3 inches long. Well now we discovered that the largest one is probably bullying the babies. Within the past 2 weeks the babies have become increasingly lethargic. Not eating as much and not moving as much. We just put two and two together and now researching more, I'm discovering that you should only keep one tortoise or keep them in different enclosures. I feel pretty stupid for not researching this beforehand, I assumed that they could all live together :(

What should we do now? My husband says we should give 2 away and keep only 1. I want to be able to keep all of them, but I want them to be healthy and safe. How old do tortoises have to be or how big do they need to be before they can move outside? I live in AZ. It's pretty cold now, but in the spring/summer can our larger tortoise be moved outside with a top enclosure to prevent predators? Can the 2 hatchlings be housed together for now until they are older? Our original plan was to move all three out to the backyard when they are big enough. We were going to build a nice enclosure outside with a shallow waterfall for them to bathe in whenever they want. Is there anyway all 3 can live together someday?

EDIT: Forgot to say- our tank is 40 gallons. We have coconut fiber substrate. temps in basking spot are 95's and humidity is between 60 to 80 percent. we try to keep ii more towards 80 percent.

Last edited:

Megword

3O0Se6U.jpg

Here's a picture of them to show size.

EDIT: Also, I just measured them. From shell to shell, they are 2 inches, 2 1/2 inches, and the big guy is 4 inches.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they need to be separated asap. They won't be able to live outside for a couple of years. Pairs almost never work. If you can't do 3 enclosures, rehoming 2 is a good idea.

Megword

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they need to be separated asap. They won't be able to live outside for a couple of years. Pairs almost never work. If you can't do 3 enclosures, rehoming 2 is a good idea.

Dang.. I was afraid of that. the two smaller ones can't be kept together at all?

Is there any hope for the future? In 3 years when they can go outside, can they be in the backyard together? or will they always need to be separated?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You do need a much larger enclosure, but I don't think your problem is due to bullying. Are you seeing signs of that? Following, harassment, pushing or shoving, mounting, etc…

What was the source of your two babies? Read this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Here is the care info for sulcatas:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
These guys grow to the size of a small car and need their own enclosure every step of the way.
It's up to you to decide if you are up to that or not.
If you choose to let any of them go, maybe a member here that is nearby would give them a good home.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I'm no expert but I do know 40gal is way too small. 40gal should be the very minimum for a hatchling. This isn't just because people tell us this but because they need 4 different temperatures in there enclosure and it's very hard to reach them in smaller tanks. You need your basking temp, regular temp, cool side temp, and night time temp. Please read all of Toms care sheets. They explain everything very clearly. Plus you might not even see the signs of bullying. The smaller ones can feel dominated over just being in the presents of the big one. They know they have to complete for food, water, the basking spot, the hide hut and in a 40gal that's not a lot of room. They are all in constant sight of each other. My suggestion would be to give them lots of warm soaks and try feeding them separately until you can figure out a better situation. I know it's sad to think you might have to give 2 up but you can also make sure they go to wonderful homes, refer them to this sight, and Toms care sheets. When they grow up its hard to say if they will get along. Depending on how much land you have, if they are always going to be in each others line of sight, if you have males or females (which you won't know till a few years), there are so many factors. It will probably be easier on you and the torts if you downsize to one.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Sulcatas can, in my opinion, be kept together in small groups, but not in pairs. Three should do fine together. A pair will not. You need a bigger enclosure. I would do at least 3 ft x 4 ft. but preferably larger if possible. Read @Tom care sheets he referenced for you.