I need assistance please (found a tortoise)

SabsCue

Found this tortoise in my garden. Please assist with any information you may figure out. Species? Gender? Thoughts on age? Once I know all that I can start researching what I need to feed it. :)
"It" is approximately 15cm long and the tummy is flat so I think she's a girl - but Google does not give me the expertise I feel I am desperately lacking, so any and all advice will also be appreciated.
Thanking you all in advance.

1.jpg 2.jpg

SabsCue

What area of the world are you from?
It will help us narrow it down.
It's likely best to release it back into the wild.
Apologies - I am in South Africa, in Johanneburg - there is no real "wild" close to here so I suspect he/she is from this garden originally and the previous owner just left it behind. There are really high walls, so it's not just 'wondered' in from anywhere especially not in the area of the garden where it was found.

SabsCue

I don't know about the legalities, etc in your area.
I didn't want to lead you into trouble.
For example. Here in Florida USA there are strict rules against even touching our indigenous tortoises
Thank you for your gesture, we're sorted here.
Nearest I can guess it's a leopard tortoise (??) And I suspect female (shortish tail, flat tummy, but wide 'gap' at the back). I'm very diligent at homework but my own ignorance is frustrating me

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes, that is a young leopard tortoise. Too young to be sure, but looking to be female if I were to guess. Probably about 7 years old and probably was wild, or just left to forage on its own in an outdoor garden.

Beautiful tortoise! I love the darker coloration.

SabsCue

Yes, that is a young leopard tortoise. Too young to be sure, but looking to be female if I were to guess. Probably about 7 years old and probably was wild, or just left to forage on its own in an outdoor garden.

Beautiful tortoise! I love the darker coloration.
As I replied earlier, this would be the ideal garden for that. It is an completely enclosed courtyard, but more Tuscan in style, with bucket loads of culinary herbs all over the place, including strawberry plants, which I saw today it was quite happy to chow down on the leaves. It really is pretty. Except I see markings of white paint or similar on it, which I am not happy with. But no stress, it's found a forever home here.

chin_lee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA state Pacific Northwest
how long have you lived there before finding it? I you keep it in your courtyard with plenty of natural foods and provide a water source, it will be a great environment for it to grow up. Be prepared for losing some of your culinary plants though......