I got a problem (Baby sulcata info needed)

Patrick Seymour

i rescued a hatchling that still has its egg tooth about a week ago. his living conditions were horrid (they actually had him/her in with some 3 toed box turtles.) i took him/her home and soaked for what seemed like the first time. i took the hatchling(now named titan) to the vet and found that titan weighs a whole 41 grams. my problem is that titan is very sluggish and barely eating all he does is sleep and wont even drink. i soak him every other day like my year old. what else should i do. i have him in a plastic container at the moment with uvb and a heat lamp, i spray it down daily to help with the humidity and he has a high humidity hide. thanks

Zeko

5 Year Member
Hello,

I am sure some of the experienced guys will chime in, but i'll go ahead and ask a few things that I am sure they will:

1) What is your temperature readings on cool/warm/basking areas?
2) Please attach photos of it's current setup.
3) Please turn your lights over and attach photos of what the bulbs look like.
4) What are you feeding him?

This should be enough to get some of the good guys giving you advice.

Thanks,
Brad

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
We also need to know the species of hatchling to help suggest proper care.

Patrick Seymour

well i cant get a pic of the enclosure for i am not home at the moment. as for the food the only thing i notice him touch is clover.

Patrick Seymour

can anyone post pictures of their sulcata hatchling indoor enclosures to give me any ideas, i am planning on building something more permanent once i get the chance

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. The sooner you have have a picture posted here are better.

Bless you heart for rescue this hatecling before he become dinner.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The tortoise could be sick, could simply be adjusting to a new environment, He could be to cold. what are the temps he is being kept at?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Your temps are going to be pretty important right now and I would soak every day. You should even add a jar of carrot or squash organic baby food to the soak water. Help get something in him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The baby's eyes are starting to swell. You need to nip this in the bud. The most common cause of a baby to not eat is it isn't warm enough. Get one of those point and shoot temperature reading thing-a-ma-bobs and check the temperature all over the floor of the habitat. It should be at least 80F all over the whole floor.

Zeko

5 Year Member
The baby's eyes are starting to swell. You need to nip this in the bud. The most common cause of a baby to not eat is it isn't warm enough. Get one of those point and shoot temperature reading thing-a-ma-bobs and check the temperature all over the floor of the habitat. It should be at least 80F all over the whole floor.

Almost any hardware store sells them: temperature guns.

I've found shooting them at the ground, and then at the tortoise when he is in those locations to be best. If the ground is damp it will read lower than what the tortoise would actually be in that very same location. Some people use rocks and such the height of the tortoise, but I simply put my tortoise in the spot and wait a minute or so and shoot at his shell.

Hope it helps!,
Brad

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I looked for point and shoot temperature reading thing-a-ma-bobs on amazon, no such luck. :)