I found a tortoise in my yard

Jo Anna

Hi,
I am new here. I found a new friend in my yard, not sure what type exactly. I am glad to see there is a forum to learn about this guy/gal. I live in Sacramento, CA. Can anyone tell me what type of turtle this is? I have read a few posts and it looks like I may need a permit, if it goes unclaimed. Can anyone lend a helping eye? Also so I can give proper habitat. Thanks in advance.

Jo Anna

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Can you post a pic of the face and front and the bottom shell. @Yvonne G may be able to help. If it's a cdt you may need to leave it where you found it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nope, no permit required. You have a non-native red ear slider, a water turtle. If you don't want to set up a little pond for the turtle, then call a rescue, but DO NOT release it back outside. It is illegal to do so. Felice Rood is in Sacramento. She runs a rescue and a turtle club. Felice - 916 421-1134

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot to mention that water turtles can't swallow food unless they are submerged in water. A good offering would be worms, dead fish, crickets, etc.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It's a big RES they are a type of pond turtle. As mentioned above. Do not release and they need access to water and a fairly big swimming area by the size of it

Kyle

Jo Anna

So I will admit, I'm a chicken to pick him up. BUT, when my son gets home, I will have him moved. Here is a picture of his head...some. He is where I cant sneak up on him easy. It's she'll isn't like my other RES...but they are TINY compared to this guy. I will have to go get a kiddie pool to set him up. Any tips for setting him up outside? Mine I bought when they were too tiny to legally buy and are in a 55gal tank...this guy is obviously too big for a tank. Thanks again.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Younger RES have more latter and they get darker as they get older. Most do anyways. It's shell does look like a RES but maybe it's a different type of slider.... Its hard to tell without better pictures of the head and limbs

Kyle

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Gorgeous turtle.
Good to know you've experience with the species and will set him up well.
Good luck

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
Welcome if you look in the aquatic turtle section youll find all the info you need!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so used to people turning in wild red ear sliders, that I sometimes forget that people actually have them in their ponds too. So I apologize for neglecting to say, "Make fliers and tack them up on the utility poles in your neighborhood telling of your 'found' turtle. Also, place a found ad on craigslist and in the newspaper."