I don't need another tortoise... do I?

yillt

I have come to a bit of a dilemma. I have sorted out the cage for Billy. It's about 7 feet by 5 feet. It takes up one corner of my room and as I see it, I still have three corners left. As tortoises are highly territorial, they obviously need their own space. I do have the space for another tortoise and we do have a garden ( a small one though as we live in London.) I also have three cages, all of which Billy has outgrown, ranging from small and medium to extra large. Even the small one is about 2 feet long. So not that small. The reason I'm posting this is because someone I know has many baby Marginateds available. They are slightly over an inch (but all range in size ). I have attached a photo of them. I love Billy, but he has grown up fast and I miss those stubby little legs and that shell which fits into one hand. But I know that I don't really NEEEEED another tortoise. I'm here for advice. I know that many of you have multiple tortoises but the majority only have one. I just need someone to either agree with me and say 'go for it.' Or to tell me that I don't really need another tortoise. But they're JUST SOOOOO CUTEEEE....

Attachments

• 1485436962737.jpg
    1485436962737.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 47

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I'd say focus on Billy right now and don't get another one. You have space now for a hatchling enclosure, but soon you will need two adult enclosures and that is an awful lot to fit into one bedroom. Housing multiple animals can be a goal down the line, when you have your own home. Moving away for school with one tortoise will be a challenge but two even more so. I'd stick with just Billy.

yillt

I'd say focus on Billy right now and don't get another one. You have space now for a hatchling enclosure, but soon you will need two adult enclosures and that is an awful lot to fit into one bedroom. Housing multiple animals can be a goal down the line, when you have your own home. Moving away for school with one tortoise will be a challenge but two even more so. I'd stick with just Billy.
I hate to admit it, but I think your right. It's so hard to look at those tiny faces and say no.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have to agree, especially when now you only have a small garden and going away to school may be in your near future.
As for seeing their tiny cute faces, stop looking at them :p. You have lots of time to get more and at that time hopefully a place of your own with even more room:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Tempting as they are, I would stick with Billy.
I'm sure you'd give them a good home but more torts means more heat/uvb bulbs for our UK winters and summers if the last 2 have been anything to go by, so higher bills etc. and the more torts the bigger space you need.
There's a lot to consider.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
what a bunch of killjoys :-( no one needs another tortoise it's whether you want another tortoise or not and can provide the care for it

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Another mouth to feed and marginated get large and need room to roam. I went crazy when i started collecting, but then i have 4.4 acres to forage food and have large outdoor enclosers. (planning to go larger on their enclosures) Room to roam.

yillt

As much as I would love to say your all wrong and that OF COURSE I need another tortoise, I can't. I think that I am going to stick with Billy, give him a luxurious and large cage and when the time comes, I can het my own garden and have a herd (hopefully.) Thank you for making me realise that. :)