I don't know if I want a Leopard Tortoise or not

Ryansiegelreptiles

I'm not sure if i know how big they really get. What size enclosure would I need for two of them? A 10 foot would be my maximum size but a 8 or 9 foot enclosure would be great. Any tips would be really helpful. I need someone to talk me into getting one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises don't do good in pairs. So if you can't do bigger then you mentioned, then stick with one. Do you know plan on getting a hatchling? It takes a hatchling quite a few years to get full grown. Mine are 5 and almost 5 and not full grown yet.

Ryansiegelreptiles

Tortoises don't do good in pairs. So if you can't do bigger then you mentioned, then stick with one. Do you know plan on getting a hatchling? It takes a hatchling quite a few years to get full grown. Mine are 5 and almost 5 and not full grown yet.
Yes probably a hatchling. I would divide the huge cage so they don't get stressed.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I have two Leopards that I got as hatchlings. I would strongly encourage you to get just one unless you have a ton of indoor space to house them. If I could go back and do it again, I would only get one. That aside, Leopards are awesome but as hatchlings they are sensitive to temperatures and you need to be careful to get them in a proper set up or you'll end up with a sick tortoise. There is a lot of conflicting info out there and I made a lot of mistakes when my two were little. They are now big and fat and doing well but it wasn't without a lot of sleepless nights, trial and error and worry. Take a good read through this Leopard care sheet and if you feel you can meet the needs of a hatchling then I say go for it! http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This may help explain why keeping pairs of torts is not a good idea
www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/why-not-to-keep-2-tortoises-together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114
and there are plenty of other sad stories if you do a search.
They are solitary creatures do not need or like friends.
People often see what they want to see when they have 2. They think they cuddle together but the reality is one is trying to harrass the other off his patch; they see one following the other but again this is a form of bullying - which isn't always outright aggression.
My leopard will even try to barge me - his food goddess - out of his enclosure if I sit in there too long with him.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
P.S. Leopards can grow to between 18 -24 inches and need a LOT of space. Mine is about 4 and already 11 inches long - he has his own adapted room with rubber flooring, and areas of substrate, plants etc. probably about 12' x 6' at the longest and widest part.
They do not hibernate so depending on your climate you have to be prepared to provide heat and uvb for them all year around, my heat is on 24/7/365 here in the UK for my leopard. We had a rubbish summer last year so his outdoor time was minimal.
Weeds are hard to find here in the winter so it costs me about £35+ a month to provide him with a varied and as healthy as possible diet. He was a rescue and I love him to bits but here in the UK climate he needs fairly high input financially.