i came home and she was dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
and this really sucks, ive had her for 13 days, she had her warm soak for 20 min today, she ate really good today, had her outside in the sun for two hours, my che is in the mail, due to come tomorrow, monday. this just really sucks. im torn up right now.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using TortForum mobile app

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
while shes outside on the lawn i mist her and i keep a potted plumeria over her so she has some shade if she wants. i seriously mist her almost everytime her shell dries.

i got her 13 days ago she was 2 inches in length, by almost 2 inches. idk exactly how old, but she still had her egg tooth

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Sometimes this sort of thing randomly happens. Sometimes not so randomly. You will probably never know what the cause was, so just double-check your care practices, take some time to recover your emotional energy, and plan out the next attempt. Additionally, perhaps you could go with an animal six months to a year old both to avoid the initial possibility of fragility and to potentially screen out some individuals which might be more susceptible to...whatever.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Baoh said:
Sometimes this sort of thing randomly happens. Sometimes not so randomly. You will probably never know what the cause was, so just double-check your care practices, take some time to recover your emotional energy, and plan out the next attempt. Additionally, perhaps you could go with an animal six months to a year old both to avoid the initial possibility of fragility and to potentially screen out some individuals which might be more susceptible to...SIDS.

Fixed it for you.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
LOL

You....

Such an abuse of a term.

LOL

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
what is SIDS

nvm, googled it.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am so sorry this happened!
You are in my thoughts.
Hugs!!!!!!!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Direct sunlight is overrated for hatchlings in my opinion. I keep mine on a shaded patio for the first 3 months and they develop beautifully. They may get 5 minutes of sunlight a day and that's max. To many times have I heard stories of babies overheating in the sun even if Just for a short period of time.

Sorry for your loss!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
diamondbp said:
Direct sunlight is overrated for hatchlings in my opinion. I keep mine on a shaded patio for the first 3 months and they develop beautifully. They may get 5 minutes of sunlight a day and that's max. To many times have I heard stories of babies overheating in the sun even if Just for a short period of time.

Sorry for your loss!

My belief on this is that filtered or reflected rays are probably sufficient and may be less risky. Mind you, I have no idea if this was a factor here, but might as well mention it since it has been broached.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Ohhhh noooo. I am so sorry to read this news, rayneygirl. So sorry. This sucks. I hate these type of posts. I know you had previously worried about baby not pooping and about the plastron being soft. Maybe this baby was too fragile. Hatchling failure syndrome might be what happened and that can come from so many things that can go wrong. Do you know if the folks you got Baby from kept the babies hydrated. I also read a thread, I think it was Tom's observation, about the medium that the eggs are on, the babies may ingest it - I believe it was vermiculite - and they get impacted. And if they are kept dry, by the breeder, before you got the little tortoise, their little insides basically start to break down. So many crazy things can happen from egg to you. I am so sorry you had to experience this. It is always sad, sad, sad. Sorry. : (

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
thankyou for your kind words beebee, she was a gift to me, a lovely little gift, i do know she was purchased from a pet store, not part of a chain store though. in her 13 days that i had her she went to the restroom only a little bit once. she was such a little treasure and i miss her very very much. i buried her under a guava tree in my back yard. i still have my adult sulcata, maui, which is of course comforting and it helps me to have maui because i love tortoises a lot and i would miss the routine you create with them. but there really isnt a replacement for the baby we lost. maybe in the distant future ill think of getting a yearling but right now im just going to focus on my existing pets and get them ready for winter. thank you for saying such nice things to me, i really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.