I believe the Lord brought tortoises into my life to teach me patience.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
My husband and I have worked our butts off to build great outdoor enclosures for my Russians and Leopards. The Russians have been outside for almost a month and 2 of the 4 will rarely come out of the night box. 1 comes out and finds the coldest spot in the garden and completely burries herself. The garden is well planted, and has a great underground hide as well as lots of sight barriers.
They are slowly adjusting. They are all gaining weight back, so small steps.
I just put leopards out last weekend. One won't come out, and the other won't stay in. Lol.
I have always said patience may be a virtue, but not one of mine. I am learning.
Any pointers anyone has to help them adjust would be appreciated. Mostly just venting though. :rolleyes:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Patience, I think can be learnt. And as you Jodie put it, 'owning a tort' :tort: could make almost any person patient. :rolleyes: And obviously there is 'an exception to each and every rule.' Some people do not get torts for this reason, believe me.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
They need to learn to go in the night box so out that tort in every night. Do you have a door you can lock them in?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They need to learn to go in the night box so out that tort in every night. Do you have a door you can lock them in?
Absolutely. I put them as the sun goes down, it gets cold quick in the evening here. The box all locks up.