I am very worried about my russian tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston17

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. My poor Winston is very sick, he is on antibiotics and has a vitamins a defiance. He has got a shot of vit A! My uncle has been a vet for 25 years so I called him and told him his symptoms he quickly said vitamin a deficiency. I have read that they only say that for extra money his quickly dismissed that as rubbish. So I took him to the local vet to get the shot. I asked her the same thing and laughed at the thought of doctors lying to there patients. Since the shot his mouth is much better. He also gets one drop of cod liver oil and clear cream for his eyes not being able to open. Now his face is getting very dirty. So we clean it with a q tip each night. Any one had any similar problems?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
the vitamin a padding thing was one members opinion. I can't argue that or say whether it is right or wrong. Most of us tend to think that vitamin a deficient is often misdiagnosed as something else or often is unnecessary. As a general rule most tortoises don't suffer that problem, and often they suffer side effects, here is hoping your russian has that and the shots clear it up.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it can also be fixed with Diet, as injections can cause some problems, or be overdosed. How is your tort doing?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is your tortoise eating? Is your tortoise walking around? What led to the conclusion he had a vitamin a deficiency?

Status
Not open for further replies.